Blaze King... Cat temp when burning low

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The newer cat probe meters that have no numbers, they have little white ticks around the edge of the dial. Look for them. They appear to correspond with 500 degree increments when compared to a labeled meter. I recall BK saying that the labeled cat meters just caused trouble with owners obsessing about what temp their cat was running at instead of only worrying about whether it was active or not which is the important thing.

I have stalled my cat. Just this year. It is much easier to do when outdoor temps are higher and draft is weaker. You can't miss it, the glass will fully get coated, the smoke will become white and heavy, and stove temps plummet.

I'm playing the game of trying to get long burns, low output, AND cleanish glass. Tough to get all three until the weather cools some more. My solution is partial loads, 20 hour burns at a higher stat setting until I can use more heat. Going through way too much kindling.

I stalled my cat this morning, I set it where I usually do or where I was all year last year and with the warmer temps this morning is stalled. Until the real cold sets in I'm going to have to remember to put it up a notch.

Reactions: Highbeam
To all you Blaze King owners....

First, and this is no BS, I appreciate all that you do to help other folks and the great support and endorsements. However, I would like to address this issue of the Thermostat cover (we call it the main tube cover).

Did you happen to notice that the label on top says to not open or remove the cover? During the safety test, it was discovered that if an individual were to remove the lid, then place it back on the stove and if the blade were not completely horizontal, the blade could get pinched and locked in the open position. You can guess the end result.

I would like to ask that you consider NOT suggesting to folks they open or remove the thermostat cover. I would be very concerned about the liability of making such a suggestion. I'm not looking for any feedback here, just asking you to each remember there are different skill levels.

If any one has a thermostat related question, I'd be happy to discuss it with them.

Thank you for your consideration....and support.

Chris

PS Anyone taken a nice buck or bull this year?

To all you Blaze King owners....

First, and this is no BS, I appreciate all that you do to help other folks and the great support and endorsements. However, I would like to address this issue of the Thermostat cover (we call it the main tube cover).

Did you happen to notice that the label on top says to not open or remove the cover? During the safety test, it was discovered that if an individual were to remove the lid, then place it back on the stove and if the blade were not completely horizontal, the blade could get pinched and locked in the open position. You can guess the end result.

I would like to ask that you consider NOT suggesting to folks they open or remove the thermostat cover. I would be very concerned about the liability of making such a suggestion. I'm not looking for any feedback here, just asking you to each remember there are different skill levels.

If any one has a thermostat related question, I'd be happy to discuss it with them.

Thank you for your consideration....and support.

Chris

PS Anyone taken a nice buck or bull this year?
Good point well taken.
I have noticed what you are talking about when trying to put it back with the flapper open some.
I leave mine off all the time now and I doubt I change that.
I just like to see where it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.