Blaze king double wall pipe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah cannot think of any method to prevent back drafting through the flue.

Maybe add the OAK adaptor and duck tape it up when not in use.

Only thing I can do is clean the stove and shut the intake down to prevent any back feeding of air while off.

Never had that problem. 100% don't have smoke ejection during the burning season. To cold for that.

Yeah cannot think of any method to prevent back drafting through the flue.

Maybe add the OAK adaptor and duck tape it up when not in use.

Only thing I can do is clean the stove and shut the intake down to prevent any back feeding of air while off.

Never had that problem. 100% don't have smoke ejection during the burning season. To cold for that.

That's the problem..shutting the air off with the control lever does not shut it all the way off.
But for sure cleaning it out really well after the season is over is a great idea.

That's the problem..shutting the air off with the control lever does not shut it all the way off.
But for sure cleaning it out really well after the season is over is a great idea.

100%. I like to get things in order like the rest of you guys.

I have seen (On this site) that the BK Thermo plate has a metering hole in it. Only option would be to duct tape the intake and hope for the best. Maybe even taking the cover off and taping the hole?

100%. I like to get things in order like the rest of you guys.

I have seen (On this site) that the BK Thermo plate has a metering hole in it. Only option would be to duct tape the intake and hope for the best. Maybe even taking the cover off and taping the hole?

You could do that,I have my cover all the time for other reasons. Just remember to take it off(tape) before light off come burning time..lol.

I guess you could pull the flue pipe and block that all off instead.

You could do that,I have my cover all the time for other reasons. Just remember to take it off(tape) before light off come burning time..lol.

I guess you could pull the flue pipe and block that all off instead.

Pulling the flue is a good excuse to clean it.

I imagine some kinda tag on the door handle would suffice.

Thanks guys, the crimp seems tight around the flue collar so I guess all will be well. I won't be able to secure the bottom of the double wall as the flange sits below the convection deck. I will secure it at the top and at the joint in the telescoping section

Reactions: Highbeam
Thanks Webby. Out of curiosity, you say "by design." Why are wood stoves not made air tight? Seems like it would be a fairly simple thing to do.
Modern stoves are intentionally not air tight. This prevents smoldering a fire as was past habit.

So why would cat stoves not be sealed tight? Particularly when there's a cold air intake.

The BK Princess (if not all BK cats) are sealed tight to the OAK system but the stat plat has a hole that prevents 0% throttle. My Hearthstone was the same way. There are no extra holes anywhere else on the stove to let air in or out. As such, if you properly connect an OAK systsem this backdrafting of smoke smells in the off season is not a problem.

Now my Englander, that bugger has four seperate holes in the stove, only one is supposed to be hooked to the OAK.

Let's not mistake air tight construction for the inability to completely close off the intake valve.

What's smoldering a fire? And what's an OAK system?

Smoldering a fire means not enough air is getting to the fire thus combustion is incomplete so the results is lots of smoke .

OAK= Outside Air Connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.