Blaze King Sirocco 30.1 estimate....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
a quote is one thing because its basic, but when it comes to contract time if I'm paying someone to do a job they better be very specific. That being said when contractors are bidding on jobs they are very specific in their proposals cause if their not they, well lets just say you aint getting the work. Also don't forget The contracts are also written in mind to protect the contractor, a amended can be put in if the customer does not like what they have to say. From their you negotiate, but if your not specific in my book you don't get the job.

You have nothing to hide when your up front and write everything down on paper. to many guys say whatever it take to get the job, then when the get it nothing and renege on what they said, nothing is on paper so nothing holds up in court.
We do spell out exactly what we are going to do and give you a price for that work. And that is the price that you will pay. Our quotes are our contracts we submit them to the customer if they agree to the work we both sing that quote and it becomes the contract. Like I said I see no reason to break it down we give the price of the stove and the price of the install. What is included in the install is clearly spelled out but not broken down are far as what part costs what. Because it really doesn't matter We are not going to change how we are going to do the job and our prices are non negotiable.

Now if we are talking about a larger job like we did this summer where we did a stove install with a full hearth and a heat shield wall with stove on it and a liner ect. ect. we broke that down into sections the liner the hearth ect. But we typically don't do many of them.

20170125_171744.jpg
bholler- I completely understand a quote not being itemized to nuts and bolts but this is my quote. From the bids I've received from the other shops they minimum broke it down to : stove price, parts(flu), and labor cost. They also included type and brand of piping. I would like to have at least seen the stove price. They had a Sirocco 20 on the floor with the price 10% off and the gentleman state that the 30.1 was $400 more.

bholler- I completely understand a quote not being itemized to nuts and bolts but this is my quote. From the bids I've received from the other shops they minimum broke it down to : stove price, parts(flu), and labor cost. They also included type and brand of piping. I would like to have at least seen the stove price. They had a Sirocco 20 on the floor with the price 10% off and the gentleman state that the 30.1 was $400 more.
Like I said we spell out exactly what we will be doing with brand and type of chimney or liner and any other applicable info. And we do break out the stove and then the install and other materials are all together. We just have found there are fewer problems that way. If someone specifically asks us what each part costs we will give them that info. But when they do that many times they will try to eliminate parts or haggle over labor costs.

To me that quote is not adequate it really doesn't tell you much about what will be supplied or how the install will be done. And I agree the stove should be listed separately.

Yep, I just saw that fine print.
I see it says per site visit there. Does that mean they gave you a quote without seeing the site? I dont see how their quote could be even close to accurate if that is the case.

Well with that number it's maybe a cover all comers type of sight unseen pricing. Lol.

Like I said we spell out exactly what we will be doing with brand and type of chimney or liner and any other applicable info. And we do break out the stove and then the install and other materials are all together. We just have found there are fewer problems that way. If someone specifically asks us what each part costs we will give them that info. But when they do that many times they will try to eliminate parts or haggle over labor costs.

To me that quote is not adequate it really doesn't tell you much about what will be supplied or how the install will be done. And I agree the stove should be listed separately.
Thank you. I would just like a little more detail on what exactly I would be getting for $7,925.65

I see it says per site visit there. Does that mean they gave you a quote without seeing the site? I dont see how their quote could be even close to accurate if that is the case.
This was a quote in the shop with a dozen pictures and measurements he requested.

There is another shop I'm planning on stopping at this weekend, had talked to them on the phone previously. The stove is $200 more. He sells Excel pipe and the stoves but doesn't install out by me. Said he has a sweep in my area that he contracts for installs. This shop is 1.5 hours from my house. He stated that if I buy the stove and pipe from him, for that sweep to install, he will discount the pipe 10%.

I had an ashford 30.1 installed in July 2015. I got a itemized estimate. I had stove, pad, chimney, installed for $6300. I can go back and look at the exact number but I'm pretty sure the stove was $3300. The pad was $500. The chimney consist of Duravent double wall to 2 offset 45s, then like 9 feet of class a with chimney brace . Total chimney height of about 15 feet. It was around $1600. Then $850 to install. The installer was about a hour and a half away and said they would have to charge a little more because of distance. I could have gotten by with a cheaper pad. But overall I was ok with the price and knew it would eventually pay itself off.

Reactions: Jason763
When I had my Explorer 2 installed my quote was broken down very detailed. I paid right around $5k for removal of old stove and chimney, all new chimney, stove, new stone hearth, drywall work. I have at least 25ft of new chimney

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 193427 bholler- I completely understand a quote not being itemized to nuts and bolts but this is my quote. From the bids I've received from the other shops they minimum broke it down to : stove price, parts(flu), and labor cost. They also included type and brand of piping. I would like to have at least seen the stove price. They had a Sirocco 20 on the floor with the price 10% off and the gentleman state that the 30.1 was $400 more.

Its real funny how they break down the stove, but the install and liner are detailed as little as possible. Sorry but this is where you get screwed.

Why did he put the lift clause in? If he came to your house and looked at the install he should know if one is needed or not.

you need a breakdown of prices which should include the Stove, parts and installation. Ask him to do that and see what they say.

Well first did you pay for the quote or was it free? When its free they will be as simple as it gets. Sometimes companies do charge for quotes but they are way more in depth.

do you know how long your liner/chumney is? Call up a couple stores around you and get a price for it. Call up a couple of BK dealers and ask them what they are selling the stove for.

The first guy I contacted kept on beating around the bush about prices...he basically wanted it left open ended! lol I sent that clown down the road! The second contact bent over backwards to explain everything in detail and priced EVERYTHING out.And when it didn't take as much time or material as he had originally estimated....he refunded the difference! I didn't ask for it and didn't expect it! This honest straight up nothing to hide guy has a customer for life and he will be highly recommended...I guarantee you!

Its real funny how they break down the stove, but the install and liner are detailed as little as possible. Sorry but this is where you get screwed.

Why did he put the lift clause in? If he came to your house and looked at the install he should know if one is needed or not.

you need a breakdown of prices which should include the Stove, parts and installation. Ask him to do that and see what they say.

Well first did you pay for the quote or was it free? When its free they will be as simple as it gets. Sometimes companies do charge for quotes but they are way more in depth.

do you know how long your liner/chumney is? Call up a couple stores around you and get a price for it. Call up a couple of BK dealers and ask them what they are selling the stove for.
If you are going to give advice here you really need to start reading the thread first. First this is a chimney install not a liner install. And the op clearly said that the guy has not gone out to the house yet he based his pricing on lots of pics and measurements. That is why in his quote it says if a lift is needed per-site visit. I do think the quote is probably a bit high and nowhere near enough detail on what will be done.

Reactions: Ashful and Jason763