blocker plate question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainstation

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2009
N.Ont.
I have an Regency Insert and this season am considering "fabbing" and installing a Blocker plate. Have burned for years with inserts and have never had a Blocker plate. Couple of questions: Does it help with heat and stove efficiency ? And, Can I use regular roofing steel or is there specific steel, painted/nonpainted required. ?
Thanks

My chimney sweep did it with a few pieces of metal, then screwed them together to form the blocking plate. took about an hour and half to get it all together but a good job. No silicone of furnace paste. Held in place with screws and strips of same metal sort of like L to hold to back wall of chimney. WORKS

While I cannot tell you how well it works since I am still waiting to get my insert. I got some work done on my block off plate today. I just went to the local HVAC shop and asked for a 2x3 piece of 26ga sheet metal, 10 minuets and $3 later I had my block off plate. Today I made a cardboard template and will cut it out tomorrow. I will post some pictures when I get it done. I might just mount it and cut a 10" square hole in it and then put a 16" square plate with a hole in the center for the liner over the 10" hole. That way I don't have to have the insert here to take exact measurements.

I do believe the block off plate will keep a lot of heat from going into the masonry. Even on the coldest days we never had any snow stick to the top half of the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.