Blow Pipes.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wade A.

Feeling the Heat
Nov 4, 2010
South
I can't recall ever seeing a discussion or suggetions on this, so I feel that some may find it useful. I thought about posting it on the tools forum....but that would be flattery to call what I use to huff my fire up a "tool."

Some like a bellows, and I've use them plenty. Some will pay top dollar for a copper and brass blow pipe with a brass mouthpiece and engravings....if you have one of those, I'm sure it works fine and looks great standing next to your stove. Me, I'm cheap, and functional, and if I can make it myself, I will. Here's what I use:

First, get a length of 1/2" copper pipe. The length of it is a personal choice. You want it long enough that you won't have to kneel down to use it. Mine is about a yard long. Find a piece of soft wood and stand the pipe up on it. With a broad faced hammer, wail on the other end a few times, straight down, until the cut edge you are hitting starts to compress and roll. This will be your mouthpiece end. Next, lay the pipe on its side and squash the end almost closed with a few hammer blows. You want to leave just a slit so that you'll build back pressure and really get some velocity when you blow on it. If you go too far, just use a flat blade screwdriver to open it back up.

In the mornings, when I've just got a few embers, I rake them into a little pyramid, top it with a split and huff it to life. Aim for the lowest point on the embers. Sometimes it will blow smoke and ash back out the door, so keep the door closed on it as far as you can. Really though, that is minimal. A few blasts and you will have ignition. Don't inhale. If you are kneeling, don't stand up too quickly. :)

Pics or it doesn't exist!!!! ;)

I just use an old aluminum arrow shaft and leave the ends as they are. Nothing fancy, but works just fine, easily directs the air where I need it, is large enough to get things hot yet small enough that I don't pass out after a few blows.

I'd show a pic of mine, but it is just an old open arrow shaft.

pen

Another good option is an old aluminum arrow shaft - pinch the outgoing end if you want more compresion on the wind and do not inhale without your tongue over the hole!!! Been using one at the camp, fire pit and now mt stove for to many years to remember.

**** OOPS**** Pen - like minds. I must have been typing slower than you :)

Ploughboy,
This has so many hidden innuendoes I wouldn't know where to start! I giggled the whole way through your post, sorry. :red:

I'd did google them, never used one, seems pretty neat.

Guess I never had the need for such a tool . . . I just stir up the ash and coals to allow the ash to drop into the ash pan and then open up the air control, plunk some wood or kindling on the coals and leave the side door ajar and wait . . . typically in less than 3 or 4 minutes even with small coals I have ignition.

The size of the Castine generally doesn't allow for a layer of "drop a few splits and go" coals in the morning Jake. With larger stoves like the Oslo, yeah, you get more of a base to start the day with. I've got to work a little harder to achieve flash over. The pipe kind of makes it fun to do.

Hmm, never thought about making one of these, but there are times when im in a rush out the door and need to accelerate the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.