Blower made a HUGE difference!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rudysmallfry

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
Milford, CT
I'd had that "stove in basement - can't get heat upstairs" problem that so many folks do. I had considered getting the blower attachment for my Hearthstone Heritage a few seasons ago, but didn't do it since I'd heard they are loud, somewhat ineffective and cost a few bucks. Instead I played with fans, holes in floors, and didn't accomplish much of anything.

So this year, I said screw it. Oil's $3 a gallon, my house is still a leaky sieve due to only being half remodeled, and money's not growing on trees. I put the blower on my stove and let 'er rip. Last year, if the temp outside was under 30, I could forget about getting the main living level of my raised ranch up a single degree while the basement fried at 85. With the blower, the main level is now hitting 68 in just a few hours of lighting up, and I don't need to strip to go into the basement since it's not quite so hot now. I only keep my house at 62 anyway, so 68 is really cooking for me. Also, since it is a basic raised ranch floor plan with all the bedrooms at the far end, I still have cooler sleeping temps down there while the living areas are nice. The blower is not nearly as loud as I thought it would be, so I am absolutely thrilled with it. I was able to close up all the potentially dangerous holes in my floors and now I'm not violating any saftey codes to get heat up the stairs. If I can get it up to 68 with leaky windows, I can only imagine what it will be like next season when I've got them all replaced.

Anyone with a heat moving problem, try the blower! Instant convection!

Glad to hear you've got the heat moving now!

Let the tropical winds blow :coolsmile:

So you bought the official Hearthstone blower for the Heritage? Was is spendy? Did you ever try setting one of your fans behind or below your stove to simulate the official HS blower? I have the rear heat shield already and plenty of rear clearance to set non-HS fan back there as an experiment.

I tried fans all over the place. I tried blowing the cold air toward the stove, hot air from behind it, fan at the top of the stairs to try to create convection. Nothing worked. I don't know quite why this little blower is so effective. It just is. $239 well spent.

Thanks Rudysmall, I never would have thought it could be so effective.

I have been thinking about adding the optional blower on my Country Striker. Does anyone know if that would affect clearances? It screws on the back and I thought it might help move the warm air into the hall, kitchen and bathroom.

In all the stove manuals I have read it does not effect clearances. The Country stove fan is actually a large radial fan that moves a huge amount of air. It should be able to make a lot of hot wind with low noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.