Blower motor going out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I own a Lopi Deerfield that is going on it’s 4 season and has been great. I’ve noticed however that the air coming from the blower doesn’t seem to be coming with as much force, and one those days where I crank up the heat to a higher setting I get much more of a “burn” smell. With that in mind I became aware of a squealing noise that sounds like a bearing that’s failing coming from one of the blower motors (my unit has two blower motors). My question is as a blower motor begins to fail is it normal to have a noticeable loss in volume of air coming thru the unit. Thanks

It’s definitely possible that the squealing could be a motor bearing that is dragging. Sooner or later the motor could seize up. The extra load to turn the motor could overwork your circuit board too, and those are often a lot of money.

I’m not familiar with your stove model, but I would remove side covers and identify the noisy blower motor, and get one on order asap. Even spinning it by hand with the power off, you might be able to tell which one feels rough or noisy or not so free spinning.

It’s definitely possible that the squealing could be a motor bearing that is dragging. Sooner or later the motor could seize up. The extra load to turn the motor could overwork your circuit board too, and those are often a lot of money.

I would remove side covers and identify the noisy blower motor, and get one on order asap. Even spinning it by hand with the power off, you might be able to tell which one feels rough or noisy or not so free spinning.
I took the back cover off with it running and have identified which one the squealer is. I plan on calling my dealer tomorrow to get one ordered in. This is the first pellet stove I’ve owned, so I’m not familiar with all of the different operations and such. To me it would seem obvious that if the bearing is starting to go, it could potentially reduce the efficiency of it and make it not blow as hard. Just sort of wanting to verify what I felt was the case.

Reactions: tlc1976
Have you ever cleaned the blower motors?
if they are full of dust, hair, lint etc. you will have reduced air flow
as well

i second the cleaning of the blower motors especially if you have animals in the house they get wrapped up with dust and hair. I have to clean mine about 2x a season

another way to make sure it never breaks... order spare parts and keep them on hand. Had a squeal on mine so i ordered both motors the day the last motor came in the squeal stopped been 2 weeks now...LOL only spare parts i do not have now is a auger motor and control board..

another way to make sure it never breaks... order spare parts and keep them on hand. Had a squeal on mine so i ordered both motors the day the last motor came in the squeal stopped been 2 weeks now...LOL only spare parts i do not have now is a auger motor and control board..
Fortunately my dealer is 15 minutes away and Travis Industries that makes Lopi is like 30 minutes away. I don’t think parts will be much of an issue, main reason I went with a Lopi over a Harmon. But could definitely see the benefit in doing so.