Blower or no blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SouthBranch

Oct 2, 2023
Maine
We are in the process of installing heat in our new camp. We are going with an Empire DV-35 monitor heater in the basement and a Jotul Sebago 400 Direct Vent in the in the living area. I am new to using propane for heat and have been getting mixed advice on whether to install blowers or not. Would love to hear from some that have experience on this. Thanks.

Blowers are not required, but they DO help to distribute the heat from the stove somewhat. They also tend to be noisy. If you use a box fan, strategically placed, you will get the same distribution at a both a lower cost & a lower noise level. If you do get the blower, it’s easier & cheaper to have it installed by the dealer in his shop. If you decide to have the dealer add it later, you’re gonna hafta pay for a service call…

Reactions: 49er
Blowers are not required, but they DO help to distribute the heat from the stove somewhat. They also tend to be noisy. If you use a box fan, strategically placed, you will get the same distribution at a both a lower cost & a lower noise level. If you do get the blower, it’s easier & cheaper to have it installed by the dealer in his shop. If you decide to have the dealer add it later, you’re gonna hafta pay for a service call…
Thanks. It's a camp so my issue is the fact that we will be there sporadically and I want the heat to evenly disperse so I am leaning strongly towards the blowers.

Thanks. It's a camp so my issue is the fact that we will be there sporadically and I want the heat to evenly disperse so I am leaning strongly towards the blowers.

There's no reason not to have the blowers if that's what you want but as has been said, they are quite noisy.
We have a blower on our Jotul Sebago and have it turned down to maybe 10-20% of full speed. Anything higher than that and the noise gets very annoying. I guess it also depends on other background noise in the space and your tolerance of noise in general.

Reactions: SouthBranch