Blower or Not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Will the blower assist in overall temps of the house? Don't really think it will since the stove top temp is reduced when the blower is running. Seems a 6 in 1, half dozen in the other routine. I don't need the air moved better, just warmer.

I don't think so-all it really seems to do (imo) is move the air further. For us, our stove is located facing the hall that leads to the rest of the house, so for a quicker warm up housewide, I'll pop it on once it heats a stovetop temp @ 650 or so (or if it's hanging around 750 just to keep it in check).

I think of the stove just like a radiator in a car. If you want to increase the heat transfer from the radiator, you turn the fan on.

It will warm the air which is much easier to move to other rooms than radiant heat.

Matt

SolarAndWood said:
I think of the stove just like a radiator in a car. If you want to increase the heat transfer from the radiator, you turn the fan on.

Great analogy! Every metal has a specific thermal heat conductivity number which is the materials ability to transfer heat and a heat transfer coefficient. In general a heat transfer coefficient is the quantity of heat that passes in unit time through a plate of particular area and thickness when its opposite faces differ in temperature by one kelvin. So theoretically the greater the temperature difference between two surfaces the more heat you will transfer between them. This is the generalized way it works with out getting into the gory details.

So when you run the blower it changes the temperature differential between the inside of the steel and the outside causing more heat to be transferred at a higher rate.

Does the fan on your heatsink/processor in you computer make it dissipate heat better? The stove fan draws the heat out of the stove more efficiently, especially ones with air paths around the box like most inserts have. Add more wood to maintain a high surface temp with the blowers cranked if thats an issue.

certified106 said:
SolarAndWood said:

Great analogy! Every metal has a specific thermal heat conductivity number which is the materials ability to transfer heat and a heat transfer coefficient. In general a heat transfer coefficient is the quantity of heat that passes in unit time through a plate of particular area and thickness when its opposite faces differ in temperature by one kelvin. So theoretically the greater the temperature difference between two surfaces the more heat you will transfer between them. This is the generalized way it works with out getting into the gory details.

So when you run the blower it changes the temperature differential between the inside of the steel and the outside causing more heat to be transferred at a higher rate.

Yea, what he said. WITHOUT the gory details. :zip:

I have an insert and I can tell you without a doubt that with the blower on my house warms up MUCH better. No question in my mind.

I dont use a fan on the Englander 30 .I think it cools down the stove too much for a clean burn. I do use a fan at times to move the heat out of the room the stove is in but not directly on the stove.Although If i had an overheating problem with the stovesuch as excessive draft, i would want a fan on the stove.

A blower on a convection stove is a must and helps move the heat.. My temps are similar on both floors in my home and you can sit 3 feet from the sides of the stove and not feel baked by the radiant heat..

Ray

Just about doubles the output on my 30 when I need it. Run it at 700* with fan a 3/4 high and tell me it doesn't throw more heat into your house.

Yep +infinity and beyond on the fan thing, would not have a stove with out.

The only time I don't use a fan (blower) is when the house is already too warm and I want some of the heat from the stove to escape out the flue.

drumbum said:
Just about doubles the output on my 30 when I need it. Run it at 700* with fan a 3/4 high and tell me it doesn't throw more heat into your house.
I agree with a stove top of 700. But if your in the situation as some users of the 30 are reporting where you stove is struggling to maintain 500-550, a blower will not help your stove burn hotter and cleaner.
As Myway posted he dont need more air ,just warmer air.

Seasoned Oak said:
drumbum said:
I agree with a stove top of 700. But if your in the situation as some users of the 30 are reporting where you stove is struggling to maintain 500-550, a blower will not help your stove burn hotter and cleaner.
As Myway posted he dont need more air ,just warmer air.
Are you having trouble keeping your stove at 500 to 550?

I usually only run my fan when the stove is peaking, then like others said im worried it will be running to cool for a proper burn. That being said im using a stop top thermometer with the fan forcing the air right over it, so the actual inner stove temps maybe still high and just the stove top metal has cooled fooling us into thinking the stove is running too cold?

I don't buy any of this blower stuff.. My secondaries are not affected at all by the blower if they were I would say there is something wrong with your stove..

Ray

certified106 said:
SolarAndWood said:

But it will still not alter the burn inside the stove..it can't.
You would have to add more air...just my opinion.

"But it will still not alter the burn inside the stove..it can’t.
You would have to add more air…just my opinion. "

I don't know the answer either, but I do know that if heat is leaving the outside of the firebox more quickly, it must be reducing the average temperature inside. The question then becomes whether fires burn any differently (i.e. consume fuel any faster or slower) when they are burning at a cooler ambient temperature. I'm not sure that plus or minus 100 degrees would make a meaningful difference in any case.

I do remember reading about my harman stove that the smoke needs at least 1100 deg inside stove temp to light off.Below that it just goes up the chimney. Above that and it burns and creates even more heat at high temps.

DanCorcoran said:
"But it will still not alter the burn inside the stove..it can’t.
You would have to add more air…just my opinion. "

I don't know the answer either, but I do know that if heat is leaving the outside of the firebox more quickly, it must be reducing the average temperature inside. The question then becomes whether fires burn any differently (i.e. consume fuel any faster or slower) when they are burning at a cooler ambient temperature. I'm not sure that plus or minus 100 degrees would make a meaningful difference in any case.
I'm thinking if you have real good transfer off the stove top you might save some heat from going up the pipe because like someone said heat will transfer better to something cooler.
So as the stove cools some from the fans more heat will go to the stove that might have went up the pipes..that's as far as I will go because I really don't think it saves much heat from going up the pipes..though I could be wrong.
Thermodynamics can be neat..
Put some really warm water in one ice cube tray,,then really cold water in another..stick them in the freezer..which do you think will freeze first?

I have secondaries up the wazoo with the fan running, if you are having trouble hitting the 500 degree mark as oak stated I could see not running the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.