Bodart & Gonay Optifire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bartelsjoshuac

Nov 5, 2008
Eastern Iowa
Not sure if you folks will like this, as I haven't seen any modern looking wood burners on this site, but here are pictures of upgrading my inefficient cheap Superior fireplace insert to an efficient Bodart & Gonay Optifire insert. The Superior cooled the house, the new Optifire provides more heat than I could ever use.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,622
  • during1.jpg
    during1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 2,946
  • almostdone.jpg
    almostdone.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,836
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,743
That is very, very nice.

Gorgeous. Never seen one. Thanks for the pics. Rick

Thats pretty darn neat. Obviously it needs the proper setting (which it has), but very sleek and clean. Sweet!

Uhh....guess I could have been more unique in choosing my words (clean, sleek....) :long:

I really like the clean lines it has. The minimalist look to it is great. Very sharp.

What is it rated for heat output?

16.5 kilowatt hours which equates to 56,300 BTU's according to the manufacturer's website (which is the 763-764 model).

Most US resellers rate it at “up to 50,000 BTU's” at 70% efficient and call it a model 780 which is not even listed on the manufactures website.

We’ll say around 45,000 BTU’s I guess. No idea if that is with or without the 265CFM fan (I have the fan). It more than heats my 1400 square feet though, even when it is well below 0 outside. I have to really turn down the air, almost closed, and add wood sparingly on a 25 degree night like tonight or it gets way too hot in here. So it does it job for me well. Much better than the open, heat circulating fireplace it replaced which cooled the house, even with the doors closed.

I hadn’t seen anything modern or contemporary on this site, I figured people would hate it. I’m glad to see thought it was neat, even if it wasn’t the style you like. Thanks.

I love the huge viewing glass in the door.How large is that firebox?Enjoy....you have a great-looking fireplace.

That's the one spec I can't seem to locate in the brochure or on the internet. The glass measure 25"x18" so the firebox is 27" wide by 18" tall, but the baffles take up some of the height on the inside, so it is not like you can stack logs 18" deep, probably less than 1/2 that. And the firebox is 18" deep. So I guess that computers to around 5 cubic feet of interior space. The manual says 24lbs of wood maximum load. It is the mid sized model. There are two smaller ones, and one larger one, but those aren't sold in the US. There is also a two sided one, but once again, nobody imports it in the US. It is also available with a curved glass door too I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.