Bottom Up Flexible Cleaning Rods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris2879

Nov 8, 2010
Western MA
I have been doing some research on different cleaning methods. I saw the sooteater, which the forum seems to really like. Does this "beat up" the liner? Also, can you attach a brush on the sooteater rods? If so, that would probably be the best of both worlds.

As for cleaning rods, see below for what I have installed, and will be cleaning from the bottom since i cannot get to the top of the chimney. What size and which ones offer good flexibility? The liner only has a slight leftward bend and then is straight the rest of the way. So the hardest part (i think) will be making the turn from the inside of the stove and up.

The sooteater will not damage your stainless. It works well but you should not attach a brush and if you did it would probably not have power to twist it. The sooteater head is just like a weed wacker and you can adjust the size for different chimneys.

Sorry about my lack of clearity. I guess what I was thinkingis there a way to attach a brush on the rods for the sooteater and do a normal sweep and would they be strong enough to do that

Status
Not open for further replies.