1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Bought the Big E made by Breckwell...

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by flamegrabber, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buildingmaint

buildingmaint Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Oil City PA
    Yes , I've been told that 3 1/2 tons to heat that area , which is really about 1100 sq ft , is alot. I have been told by people that they heat 2000 sq ft with 2 tons. Then when you start questioning them ,you find out that they also use a vent less heater ,and the forced air furness only runs at night. "And my gas bills are around $90.00 a month" they say. I never use any Natural gas , unless it gets real real cold for a long time . Then I will use the vent less in the basement. I think some people like to stretch the truth when it comes to how much it costs them to heat their homes . Any way , that is how much I use , and from what I've read on this forum , that is about average amount used for a whole heating season.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MCPO

MCPO Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western Ma , close to NY state border
    Well , 1100 sq ft is another story and 3.5 tons to heat it is believable. I think your original post read 600 sq ft and 200 additional on the second fl. That figure was what I was responding to.
    I do agree with you and refuse to believe that anyone heats 2000 sq ft with only 2 tons and not use anything else. They have to be pretty cold in the winter or live in north Fl.
  3. katman

katman Member

Loc:
    annapolis md
    Well, it sounds like a lot for the footage but how is the insulation, are the windows and doors tight? It takes a lot to heat my place. I have good pella windows and good insulation. but I also don't have an attic and my main room is about 30' x40' and 35' tall. Lots of air to keep warm!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.