Box stores prices Up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's also possible that alot more people are stocking up on pellets creating a surge in off season demand. When winter sets in, these people will not have a need to buy more pellets creating a slow down in demand.

I normally buy 3 - 4 tons for the season, during the early-buy sale, and rely on the fact that I can go out in the spring and pick up another 1/2 ton if needed. After the fiasco this past spring, I won't be doing that anymore. Starting this season, I am buying more than I have ever used in any prior heating season. If I end up with some extra at the end of the season, I have no problem with that. Suspect there are many who are doing the same this year, and the typical fall / spring sales will be lessened as a result. Only time will tell.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
It's also possible that alot more people are stocking up on pellets creating a surge in off season demand..

True. But like I said.. if the suppliers are concerned, there is more to it than that.
One supplier (the one we buy most from) ordered 10 truckloads the other day...
he is getting 3. Reason given... they are loading ships for overseas shipments.
All three of our closest stove dealers are saying they are out straight..
So that just adds to the number of customers looking for a small part of the pie..
The foreign market will be taking a big chunk. Most of these pellet plants can only produce so much.
Doesn't seem to be an overabundance of new or expanding facilities.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.