Boy it's nice to burn dry wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
The 17-vl has been struggling on 1 year seasoned oak. It's my first year burning so I don't have my supply where it needs to be. I Stumbled across some 2 year old beech and wow what a difference! I know it's a softer hardwood but this stuff throws some good heat! I can easily run in the 500° range. Can't wait until my oak gets to 20% but for now this will work!

What is the moisture content of the beech. I find that beech will be ready in 1 yr, when I cut and split it mid winter. Usually Its cut and split in the spring which would make it 1 1/2 yr dry at 12 % mc.

Boy is it ever night and day difference. You wouldn't think 5-7% mositure makes that much difference but does it ever. I am in the same boat with 1 year oak. Thankfully my wood stacks are diverse enough that I am getting by.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Yep, no substitute for dry wood. More heat, less time spent getting the stove cranking on a load, and less chimney maintenance. And Oak is the King of Woods....you're gonna love it. :cool:
ready in 1 yr, when I cut and split it mid winter.
I'm gonna try to get a bunch of wood stacked when this weather breaks, then hope for good drying weather this summer. Last summer wasn't all that great here. We had dry wood but I'm trying to get several family members a couple years ahead....

Last spring when I was cutting wood to refill my wood storage areas (covered storage areas) I ended up with about a cord and a half of extra wood that wouldn't fit under my shed roof storage areas, so I stacked the overstock wood at the end of my stacks and top covered it with a tarp. All of this extra wood was either standing dead pine or standing dead oak, so when this burning season started I wanted to burn this extra wood first since I didn't want to have to move it all and re-stack it my normal covered area when room became available. I figured the pine would be fine since it was reading very low moisture. I knew the oak was going to be wetter than optimal so I mixed it in with good dry wood. Well, when I finally managed to burn through all this overstock wood and got into my 3 and 4 year old oak stacks it was a huge difference that reminded me I have to be more disciplined and not keep cutting once I have all my covered storage areas filled. Those areas provide three years of wood, but like many here at the hearth site I'm a wood hoarder and find it hard to stop cutting when wood is available!

What is the moisture content of the beech. I find that beech will be ready in 1 yr, when I cut and split it mid winter. Usually Its cut and split in the spring which would make it 1 1/2 yr dry at 12 % mc.
Mark I have been burning hard maple that has been split and stacked inside for 8 years and I did a mc on it and it was between 16-18% burns great. Wonder how you get 12%?

Sounds like an end grain reading. The correct way to test for wood moisture is to resplit the wood and test on the freshly exposed face of the split

I haven't gotten my meter in yet but it's gotta be 20% or less. Usually it ignites almost instantly on hot coals

Yep, no substitute for dry wood. More heat, less time spent getting the stove cranking on a load, and less chimney maintenance. And Oak is the King of Woods....you're gonna love it. :cool:
I'm gonna try to get a bunch of wood stacked when this weather breaks, then hope for good drying weather this summer. Last summer wasn't all that great here. We had dry wood but I'm trying to get several family members a couple years ahead....

Oh I know! The first week I burned I had a stack of 5+ year old shed kept pin oak.Had to crack a window a time or two on that lol

It's my first year burning so I don't have my supply where it needs to be.

You will get there soon!! I'm only in my 3rd year burning now and im only just getting ahead ......This will be my first winter ever that I have a full pile of seasoned wood and according to my calculations I should have some left over to put on my 2015 pile....

the first few years are critical...dont stop collecting and processing wood even when you think you have enough.....!!...

Reactions: Kevin Dolan
The 17-vl has been struggling on 1 year seasoned oak. It's my first year burning so I don't have my supply where it needs to be. I Stumbled across some 2 year old beech and wow what a difference! I know it's a softer hardwood but this stuff throws some good heat! I can easily run in the 500° range. Can't wait until my oak gets to 20% but for now this will work!

Beech at 2 years should be ideal. In your area, the oak may also be ready in 2 years but we give it 3 up here.

Really glad you found the difference between dry and marginal wood. Most are pleasantly surprised and that gets them started on the right track. Get yourself 3 years ahead and most of your worries or concerns are gone!

Yea, burning good seasoned wood is much more rewarding. Their is a lot of rental cabins on up in the holler above me. I get asked if I sell wood quite often.

If they just want a night or 2's burning and they are nice, I usually ablige them. Folks that want to buy ricks, I just say I'm sorry but I can't. I'm sure a lot of them think I'm crazy and figure I'll never burn what I have, but thats ok.

When I hear about those $400 plus electric bills, I'll just put a few more splits in, keep smiling, and be looking for the next scrounge. ;)

Thank You hearth.com!!

Last edited:
You will get there soon!! I'm only in my 3rd year burning now and im only just getting ahead ......This will be my first winter ever that I have a full pile of seasoned wood and according to my calculations I should have some left over to put on my 2015 pile....

the first few years are critical...dont stop collecting and processing wood even when you think you have enough.....!!...

Oh I won't! I'm setting on 3 cords of red oak/pin oak cut this year and 2 cords of 1 year seasoned white oak. Just dropped a beech and 2 ash trees last weekend that I'll be able to burn next year hopefully ! I may have problems in the future but it won't be with the wood!
Just took this pic. This is at 3/4 closed and rolling around 500 at the stovetop

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 148
Oh I won't! I'm setting on 3 cords of red oak/pin oak cut this year and 2 cords of 1 year seasoned white oak. Just dropped a beech and 2 ash trees last weekend that I'll be able to burn next year hopefully ! I may have problems in the future but it won't be with the wood!
Just took this pic. This is at 3/4 closed and rolling around 500 at the stovetop

That photo just got me all emotional......:(...we are in the middle of a stinking hot summer...i cant wait to be burning again!!...thanks for the photo..

That photo just got me all emotional......:(...we are in the middle of a stinking hot summer...i cant wait to be burning again!!...thanks for the photo..

Your welcome! I'd love to come down there one day. My grandfather went while he was in the service in the 40's. He said he loved it

Reactions: Hills Hoard
I think Beech might even be better than oak in the BTU departments, if not it's close. It does season faster and is nice and clean to bring in the house, wish I had 12 cords of the stuff.

I think Beech might even be better than oak in the BTU departments, if not it's close. It does season faster and is nice and clean to bring in the house, wish I had 12 cords of the stuff.

I won't doubt that! This is my first experience with it but I guarantee it won't be the last! We've got a good supply of it scattered over roughly 100 acres

As mentioned American beech is actually one of the better wood species when it comes to BTUs and heating. There is nothing "soft" about it. It is a very desirable wood for heating.

As mentioned American beech is actually one of the better wood species when it comes to BTUs and heating. There is nothing "soft" about it. It is a very desirable wood for heating.

Maybe the better word would've been "less dense". It sure does burn good though

As another newbie to wood burning. You are absolutely right. DRY wood is a huge difference.

Indeed beech is excellent, but if you have the time to let it dry, oak is still better. That takes nothing away from the beech and I love it too but just saying that one is a bit better than the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.