Boy it's nice to burn dry wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed beech is excellent, but if you have the time to let it dry, oak is still better. That takes nothing away from the beech and I love it too but just saying that one is a bit better than the other.

Yep and I can't wait to have a steady supply. That truck load was just a teaser!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Mark I have been burning hard maple that has been split and stacked inside for 8 years and I did a mc on it and it was between 16-18% burns great. Wonder how you get 12%?
I always cut dead standing wood , then its split , stacked and top covered for about 6 months . I don't know for sure but I bet that its close to 20% MC when its cut . I have gone out and cut a dead standing maple , split it ,then right into the wood stove in the cabin and it burns great . Has to be close to 20% mc..

I just split a piece of ash, maple and cherry. Here are the results:
Ash , no bark , cut dead standing 12 -14% MC
sugar maple , dead standing , no bark 12% mc
Cherry , must not have been totally dead , bark on tight , 20% MC

I always cut dead standing wood , then its split , stacked and top covered for about 6 months . I don't know for sure but I bet that its close to 20% MC when its cut . I have gone out and cut a dead standing maple , split it ,then right into the wood stove in the cabin and it burns great . Has to be close to 20% mc..

Mark, just keep in mind that normally with standing dead trees, the top half very well may be ready for burning (depending upon the species) but that bottom half will usually be full of moisture.

Mark, just keep in mind that normally with standing dead trees, the top half very well may be ready for burning (depending upon the species) but that bottom half will usually be full of moisture.

this is exactly what I found with the last (smaller) maple I cut - dead standing, most of the bark gone from the middle, top 2/3 dry as a fart, bottom 1/3 not so much, actually a bit punky at the very bottom end.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
this is exactly what I found with the last (smaller) maple I cut - dead standing, most of the bark gone from the middle, top 2/3 dry as a fart, bottom 1/3 not so much, actually a bit punky at the very bottom end.
I got some sugar maple last winter. It was a dead tree that was cut down, I thought I might be able to burn it this year, when I measured some was 18% but some other pieces were 25%, since I had it all mixed up I just stacked aside for next year or the year after.

Status
Not open for further replies.