Brand new wood burning stove for $185

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The box containing the Encore I picked up in VT also CFM Canada Now I know I was still in the USA..

Actually the sign on the road pointing tho the factory in VT is CFM not Vermont Castings

A The business cards the chief engingeer gave me is CFM

I'm just very grateful for this forum, and thanking my lucky stars that I happened to check in when I did or I wouldn't have even known the darn things were on sale. I'd been planning to check in with the big box stores nearer the end of the winter in hopes of getting a deal, but it never occurred to me they'd put them on clearance this early. I'm honestly tempted to get another one except that I can't think of any use for it besides selling it on ebay, lol. The prices on used stoves there have been so crazy that even 20-year-old "boxes of death" have been going for $100, old Fishers for $500-$600, ancient wheel-draft Jotul 602's for close to $400.

elkimmeg said:
The box containing the Encore I picked up in VT also CFM Canada Now I know I was still in the USA..

Actually the sign on the road pointing tho the factory in VT is CFM not Vermont Castings

A The business cards the chief engingeer gave me is CFM

Ok Don. You win. I will change my statement.

I will buy a CFM steel stove when they stop printing this line in EVERY manual for Century and Dutchwest plate steel stoves:

"MADE IN CANADA BY CFM Corporation, 2695 Meadowvale Boulevard, Mississauga, ON L5N 8A3 800-668-5323 www.cfmcorp.com"

Because the manual obviously lies if they are made in Indiana and I wouldn't know if I could trust the rest of the manual.

cut and past from the manual from the stove I picked up in VT

CFM Specialty Home Products

410 Admiral Blvd. • Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5T 2N6 • 905-670-7777

What can I say, but made in North America, which still qualifies for American pride
USA is not the only Country in America

I might also add that in all probility the steel in you Englander was imported from China.

I know at the VC plant I saw the discarded brake parts melted down into casting stoves.
True some of those brake parts could come from foreign cars, but the scrap was bought up here in America
Competing and bidding against the pacific rim brokers.

The price $185 quoted is below manufactures cost for the steel at $.80 per pound stove weighing 300 lbs you do the math

I think the $.80 lb was the price Roo quoted in a prior thead. Manufacture vollume buying might be considerably less.

Point being that the price before, cutting ,milling ,welding, and essembly, no fire bricks factored .no cermanic blankets, or glass door

Why would one buy a used stove at these prices. If I had extra money I woulf buy a few for the donor program

I think everyone should buy the stove they like and the one that makes them happy. No matter where it is made. But as to that China steel crack, I do my homework.

From the England Stove website:

"we make our stoves from American-made, Class I Carbon Steel"

You would not believe how much I don't care if people buy the same stove as me. As long as I got mine and Ron England keeps selling enough stoves to stay in business in case I ever need parts I am one happy pup.

do lowes or home despot stock any inserts? the one i called for my BIL needing an insert, only had stoves. i think he'd buy a comparable insert if they had any.

you don't have to convince me I'ts working proof, it works for you.

I would welcome the right Englander sitting on my familly room hearth to critque. That location, I'm not restricted to only rear exit
And the draft is good enough to work a cat stove now. No matter what price stove, my position is not good enough to swap.
Work is slow on the carpentry front and 3 total inspections. So far this month, Most of my work now is things I put off, basically minor repairs fixing doors building shelves
Handy man work. I should have an interior finnish job thios week all my tools are setup for it but the job got delayed .Can't install finish that has not been delivered yet
I'm also doing minor drywall jobs and patching. Stuff I never do, but one does what you have to, to bring in money.
Normally there is plowing , good for 6 k during the winter
I spent $1200 on the plow truck to be ready.

All inspections are drastically down. Way too much un sold housing inventory.. Telll tale sign is the number of pk truck a parked at the locak pubs

Last time I heard, China trains are working fine, the skyscrapers and standing and the space craft made it to orbit and back! The ipods are also working.

Steel is an international commodity and it generally made and speced by factories that all hold the same standards.

Trying to gleam where each cent goes (canada, cfm, lowes, etc.) seems like a fruitless exercise. Other than particular situations like S. Africa when apartheid was big, I personally do not use the country of origin in my buying decisions. If I did, I would not even be able to buy fruit and veggies all winter (mexico and chile)

I have a short 8" flue (maybe 9ft) going through a shed roof, connected to an older VC Vigilant. Just curious if I would have to reduce the pipe to 6" to install the larger Century stove? The wife would like to see the flames and this is the best deal I have seen for a good stove with glass in the door. I know how and why it will affect the draft, but over such a short pipe run?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

J~

I could be wrong, but doesn't Japan & China have zilch for native ore, and don't they both import most if not all their steel? And a good majority from us?

Japan doesn't have much of anything in the way of natural resources, as it is a small chain of mostly volcanic islands. However China makes out fairly well though I don't have a lot of details offhand. However they don't have the same level of development of those resources as the US., so it is often smarter / cheaper for them to recycle our stuff than to dig new material out of the ground.

Gooserider

EatenByLimestone said:
Japan:

Natural resources: negligible mineral resources, fish

(I've read they have timber also-EBL)

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/print/ja.html

China:

Natural resources: coal, iron ore, petroleum, natural gas, mercury, tin, tungsten, antimony, manganese, molybdenum, vanadium, magnetite, aluminum, lead, zinc, uranium, hydropower potential (world's largest)

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/print/ch.html

Estimates are that China produced 277 million tons of steel last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.