Break in fires for Mansfield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeathens

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Athens, Ohio
OK, don't everyone jump and and kill me at once. I KNOW this topic has to have been visited at some point...

So, I have a new Mansfield. The manual only talks about one break in fire. So far, I've built two. First one brought top stone up to just under 200. Second one brought it up to around 250. When is it "safe" to let 'er rip?

Also, what's the deal with that cotton-batting looking stuff on top of the air tubes? Just wondering. Looks like a nice ash trap that's going to be a pain to clean.

Edit: Yes, I did a search and didn't find my answer.

Do one more at about 400 and you should be good to go. Check your mortar seams between the soapstone panels inside the firebox. Sometimes there is moisture in there and they bubble, pop and leave a gap where extra air can sneak in. I did 3 breakin fires, 100, 300, 400, then I let her rip.

That cotton looking stuff is a fiber ceramic insulation. It keeps the area below the tubes as hot as possible to get good secondary burn. Make sure it is back all the way and sealing the gaps left to right. Also you want it to be laying nice and flat. Yes it will collect ash over time but if you remove the tubes and the blanket once a year when you do a full chimney cleaning that will be good enough.

Bummer on the cotton. My heritage doesn't have that and I eliminated the phoenix in part because of that cotton batt.

Highbeam said:
Bummer on the cotton. My heritage doesn't have that and I eliminated the phoenix in part because of that cotton batt.

Every single Quad unit has a fiber ceramic blanket on top of the baffle board. It has never caused any problems and will last at a minimum of 5-10 years if cared for.

By now you are done, but hey, its a heck of a stove isn't it?
All the best of this one for you and the family Mike.
SW

Status
Not open for further replies.