1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Breckwell Big E experiment.

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by buildingmaint, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buildingmaint

buildingmaint Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Oil City PA
    I decided to see how hot , and how much fuel I would use if I set my stove on # 3 manual and let her rip.

Outside temps were a high of 30 F to a low of 10 F.

I used 3 thermostats to record the temps , two in the same room as the stove , and one in a adjoining room.

In twenty four hours I got the stats in the stove room up to 95 F and 92 F , and the one in the adjoining room up to 83F .

I had intended to let the stove remain on # 3 until it ran out of fuel but the heat was making me real sick and I had a terrible head ache . So after 24 hours I kicked it back down to # 2 .

I checked the air temps coming out of the stove , and on #3 the temps were over 150 F , and on #2 they are about 120 F .

I used 120 LBS of pellets in 36 hours while the stove was on # 3 .

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. cantman

cantman Member

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    Do you have a carbon monoxide detector? Make sure you don't have an exhaust leak!
  3. buildingmaint

buildingmaint Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Oil City PA
    Sorry , not trying to raise an alarm , did not get headache from carbon monoxide . Got headache from it being so so hot. I think it dehydrated me a little.I drank about a gallon of water after I kicked her down and I felt fine. Once you get the Big E rolling , it really throws the heat.
  4. StoveMiser

StoveMiser New Member

Loc:
    Western NY
    I have mine on the #4 setting 24 hours a day. I would kill for temps like that. The room my stove is in is in the 80's, but the farthest room is at best (on a warm 30 degree day) 69 degrees. Temps here have been very cold and my house layout is not wide open. I am happy with the heat but it eats alot of pellets on #4. 2 tons since the beginning of January.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.