Breckwell big e problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rove44

Hearth Supporter
Nov 3, 2008
upstate ny
I have a breckwell big e had it about a month when running on 1 it has went completley out three times other than this the stove has been trouble free any suggestions?

Close / adjust the air intake on the side

To run on setting one, I have to set my Big-E airflow to almost closed. Depending on pellet manufacturer damper set about 1/4 to 1/2 inch open. Is your stove controlled by thermostat?

if i'm correct?? theres a setting on number one you need to set.its the size of the flame or the amount of pellets the augur drops .look into your manual and see about the "trim" setting.i think its called that.

All the other answers are good too.

I run on manual. If I ran setting 1 my damper is closed. If I pulled the damper out at all on that setting my pellets would blow out of the burn pot. Outside air kit installed also

I run on manual no thermostat i have the trim setting on 1-3 which is the lowest setting. i'll adjust the damper when on 1. the funny thing is i have run it on 1 quite a few times the last month and this only happened three times.Should i be getting unused pellets missing the burn pot and landing in the ash bin?
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP THIS IS A GREAT SITE

Switch the trim to 1-4 the highest trim setting and you should be fine. I look at setting 1 as like a pilot and nothing more. In my opinion its not even worth running the stove on 1 because of the lack of heat output. I consider #2 low.

To avoid pellets missing the burn pot, you must make sure the pot is pushed back all the way so there is a very small gap between the firewall and burn pot shroud. Every time I scrape the pot it moves away from the firewall just enough that pellets can catch the lip and miss. Get in the habit of pushing it back each time you scrape. No biggie, one push with your scrape tool should snug it into place.

StoveMiser said:
Switch the trim to 1-4 the highest trim setting and you should be fine. I look at setting 1 as like a pilot and nothing more. In my opinion its not even worth running the stove on 1 because of the lack of heat output. I consider #2 low.

Bingo

StoveMiser said:
To avoid pellets missing the burn pot, you must make sure the pot is pushed back all the way so there is a very small gap between the firewall and burn pot shroud. Every time I scrape the pot it moves away from the firewall just enough that pellets can catch the lip and miss. Get in the habit of pushing it back each time you scrape. No biggie, one push with your scrape tool should snug it into place.

They have an updated item for the unbuned pellets.i forgot what its called.someone here will know.

The heating and burning of the ash left over by the pellets creates a build up of ash that needs to be scraped so that the holes in the burnpot don't get clogged .

rove44 said:
How often should i scrape the burn pot? what exactly am i scraping?

This is something nice about the big e.it has a removable burn pot.i just take my burn pot out turn it upside down and hit it on a concrete floor.you could use something small and hard to do this if you have a nice wood floor that the stove is next too.

rove44 said:
Does it need to be stirred while it is still going??

I never have done this.this is my third heating season with it.

I stir mine at least once a day while the stove is burning. It seems to keep a more uniform flame this way. I shut down once a week for a complete cleaning of the burn chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.