breckwell fan & motor, new design questions compared to older. Also chimney pipe cleaning question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

texasgeezer

Hi, I've read other threads about the Breckwell fans but didn't find all the answers to my questions.

I have a 1994 Breckwell P32I that has used about 1 ton of pellets each year since it was installed. I've had two convection motor failures and two combustion motors fail.

Since their prices are 'high' and they seem to fail even with good cleaning & oiling.

Should I keep using their motors?

Are the bearings in the old style replaceable?

Are the bearings in the new 'open' style (supposedly ball type) replaceable?

The last motor they sent was the open design with a 3000 rpm motor speed and a smaller squirrel cage blower. The motor for the old assembly that has bearing noise was about 1550 rpm with a bigger squirrel cage.

Is the higher speed motor "not installed yet" going to be noisier?

What would possibly be a better brand motor or fan assembly be?

About chimney cleaning, how often should the exhaust stainless 4" flexible pipe be cleaned? It is about a 23' foot rise installed inside my old chimney?

On the chimney cleaning once every ton or two or in your case, annually.

I have no way of knowing which fan will be the noisier one. Every single stove has its differences that can affect how the air moves through it and each blower is also different.

Most motors can have the bearings replaced in them.

texasgeezer said:
Hi, I've read other threads about the Breckwell fans but didn't find all the answers to my questions.

I have a 1994 Breckwell P32I that has used about 1 ton of pellets each year since it was installed. I've had two convection motor failures and two combustion motors fail.

Since their prices are 'high' and they seem to fail even with good cleaning & oiling.

Should I keep using their motors? you don't have too, There are some OEM's that work just as good for less $$

Are the bearings in the old style replaceable? Depends on the motor. Can you post the info?

Are the bearings in the new 'open' style (supposedly ball type) replaceable? YES, They are replaceable

The last motor they sent was the open design with a 3000 rpm motor speed and a smaller squirrel cage blower. The motor for the old assembly that has bearing noise was about 1550 rpm with a bigger squirrel cage. Is the higher speed motor "not installed yet" going to be noisier? I have changed a couple of the older Breckwells over to the newer motors. You will need the adapter plate because the new blower is smaller in size. It also has less CFM's and is loader. I personally liked the large blower myself. I would keep it and replace just the motor. If you run the stove on very high heat settings with the new style small motor. You will now have a big chance for the unit to over heat. Please post the numbers off the old blower, I will see if I can cross the motor for you.

What would possibly be a better brand motor or fan assembly be? Jakel is on a lot of the newer stoves. C-frame design they seem to run cooler and quieter. I jsut haven't found a source where to buy them yet!

j-takeman, Thanks for a clear & helpful answer. I will post the old motor information most likely tomorrow. I only use my computer that I have away from home or would post it earlier.

As luck would have it my combustion motor (new type with ball bearings & only has about 2 & 1/2 tons of pellets) started the loud noise from it's front bearing so I now have both blower motors to replace. Can't lubricate the new style so I tried to remove the fan from the assembly & the set screw was too siezed to remove without damage even after trying corrosion spray & heating it. Do any of the anti-sieze products work in the high heat environment that the fan is in?

Do you know of any successful combustion blower change that mounts in the exhaust pipe & not on the stove itself? Seems like that would be better able to be serviced. I don't like the lightweight metal for the fan surround that Breckwell uses. The heavier metal piece where the snap switches are doesn't adapt very well to the light metal. I've always been concerned about having a small exhaust leak in that area.

I wish Breckwell was a little more personable & concerned. The woman I spoke with told me that there was a new design for the convection blower but did not mention the virtual doubling of fan speed or reduction in cfm. After receiving the new blower I called her & asked if it would be noisier - she said that it was not. Even though common sense tells me that it would be. So, I have not installed it yet. Ball bearings instead of sleeve are a little noisier & the higher speed seems to me would add to the noise. And with the elimination of any ability to lubricate the bearings seems to increase the cost of operation due to earlier failure.

The cfm reduction concerns me even more. I'd rather have the heat blown into my room instead of staying in my fireplace & Probably reducing the life of the stove to boot.

Thanks again

texasgeezer said:
Do any of the anti-sieze products work in the high heat environment that the fan is in?

Do you know of any successful combustion blower change that mounts in the exhaust pipe & not on the stove itself?
Thanks again

There is an anti seez copper that we use in our high heat applications. It works up to 1800 degrees. Made by loc-tite I think.

Enviro has an assembly that mounts on the outside of the dwelling. You might be able to adapt it to the breckwell. But its pretty pricey!

texasgeezer said:
J-takeman,

As far as I can tell my convection blower specs are 1/20 hp, cw, 5/16" shaft, 1550 rpm.

Would the fasco d1124 model work Ok? Or, might there be a better choice?

Thanks, Jerry

Looks like it would do fine. Don't worry if the shaft is too long. Doesn't hurt to stick thru the impellet or you could cut to length if it makes you feel better.

Keep us posted.

t-jakeman,

Hi, just returned from San Antonio to a much warmer week. Lucky since both my old blowers are not useable now. I talked with "Don" at Breckwell in Arlington, TX & he confirmed that the new convection blower design did push less air 'on the average' than the old design. He indicated that 'it should not cause any problems' but he would talk with the engineers about that issue. The new design (120 cfm) pushes about 30 cfm less than the old at 150 cfm average.

Weather wise for my north Texas location I probably have until next season to find a really good solution for both blower types. I will probably be contacting you a few times to get your opinion. Thanks, Jerry

texasgeezer said:
t-jakeman,

Hi, just returned from San Antonio to a much warmer week. Lucky since both my old blowers are not useable now. I talked with "Don" at Breckwell in Arlington, TX & he confirmed that the new convection blower design did push less air 'on the average' than the old design. He indicated that 'it should not cause any problems' but he would talk with the engineers about that issue. The new design (120 cfm) pushes about 30 cfm less than the old at 150 cfm average.

Weather wise for my north Texas location I probably have until next season to find a really good solution for both blower types. I will probably be contacting you a few times to get your opinion. Thanks, Jerry

Jerry, Check the newer stove manual and see where it states not to burn the stove on high for more than 2 hours. If you have to use high for any longer the stove will shutdown on high limit. I would stay with the larger blower if at all possible. The more air you move about the house the better.

Check this thread were we are talking about larger CFM convection blowers.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/70161/P22/#822974

The blower in the link has a 1500 RPM motor that may work with your blower housing. If you decide to try the smaller blower. Hang on to the larger one's for a bit to be sure. Once there tossed, I am not sure you could find one to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.