Breckwell P4000 Vermonter combustion / convection motor questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buggs_moran

Dec 20, 2011
Central MA
Background: I bought my stove from a dealer 4 years ago about 100 miles from home, so I can't call them in to look at the stove. Other locals don't want to because they "didn't sell it to me". So I've taken it upon myself to do the maintenance. I've figured most things out, installed it myself, but there are always nagging questions that I have no one to ask and the manual is, well, lacking.

Help on any of these is greatly appreciated.

1) The combustion motor recently started making a constant noise, not a grind per se, but as if the bearings might be going. How many seasons is a reasonable lifespan for one of these? I just cleaned it, good amount of buildup (it's been a year), now the sound seems louder.

2) The convection blower seems to cycle with power on the low setting, is that normal? Sounds fine on the next step up.

3) I did a straight 2' shot right out of my wall with a 45 deg angle at the end. Is that kosher or should I do the whole vertical run deal? The stove has gone out a couple times on really windy days over the past 4 years, but is fine for the most part.

Thanks. Sorry if I asked too many at once.

Chris

Welcome to the forum, buggs!

I can only help you with #3. I have the same setup and it works well for me. Some feel that you need a vertical rise of at least 3' to maintain a draft if and when the power goes out. I've lost power 3 times now, and get no smoke in the house. YMMV. You could pull the plug while the stove is running to see what happens, if you're curious.

I would suggest you install an OAK (outside air kit) if you don't have one. That will virtually eliminate any problems with the wind, and you won't be using air that you've heated to support the fire; you'll be using outside air and keep the warm air in the house.

A suggestion: put your stove model in your sig so that in the future we'll know just what you have.

Others will be along with more info - stay tuned!

Sounds like the combustion blower is going. Four years is great with a Breckwell.

Eric

>>1) The combustion motor recently started making a constant noise, not a grind per se, but as if the bearings might be going. How many seasons is a reasonable lifespan for one of these? I just cleaned it, good amount of buildup (it’s been a year), now the sound seems louder.<<

I have gone through about four convection blowers with my Breckwell. My personal opinion is the newer ones don’t last as long as the older ones. I believe the newer convection blowers all have sealed bearings, at least the last three I have owned did. I don’t know if the original blower had sealed bearings or not. I don’t think sealed bearings last very well. There is a guy on e-bay selling convection blowers for Breckwell and he states they last fifteen years. I disagree.

Fasco is the only manufacturer I know of that makes these blowers. You can try and oil the sealed bearings, like I did, but you’ll probably only get a few months use out if it until it goes. There are YouTube videos that tell how to oil a sealed bearing but I could never do it correctly. I just oiled the bearings the old fashion way and hoped some of the oil made it past the seal.

The combustion blower on my Breckwell does not have sealed bearings. I’m still using the one that came with the stove in 1994, go figure. I purchased a backup combustion blower about seven years ago but never installed it. It also does not have sealed bearings.

When you do your annual maintenance on your stove you should blow compressed air into the motors while they are running to remove any ash/dust that collects on these things. That might give them a few more years of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.