Brick hearth separating from main fireplace structure.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Granny74

Jan 20, 2024
Virginia
My room is built on a concrete slab. So there are no joists or nothing under the floor that I can look at. I am sharing 2 pictures from each side of the fireplace.. Not sure if I can just fill this gap or if I need to call a professional.
1000002358.jpg1000002357.jpg1000002356.jpg1000002355.jpg

Looks like it was not done properly to start with. It should be connected with the hearth floor in the fireplace.

You say the hearth is built on the concrete slab/floor. I'm guessing fireplace is on an outside wall. If you go outside can you see the footer for the fireplace itself? Do you have a level? Place the level on the hearth or the floor near the hearth, then place the level on the fireplace. Something moved you have to figure out what moved and why before filling gap.

My guess would be the fireplace doesn't have enough foundation under it. But it's a total guess