Brick Panel Set Backing - Enviro Windsor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogwood

Hearth Supporter
Dec 9, 2010
Western WA
Howdy and Happy Holidays...
I have a question I haven't been able to find an answer too. Hoping someone on Hearth can assist.

I have the Enviro Windsor stove. I recently removed the brick panel set to clean behind it. On the backside of the center panel was some kind of backing that circled the hole for the drop tube. It had basically worn out and fell off and is now useless.
My question...What is the function of this backing and is it harming the stove or the operation of the stove if it is not replaced?
Also, if it needs to be replaced is there a specific material I can use or do I really need to pay through the nose to have one ordered from a dealer?

Thanks...Burn on!

More than likely it was a gasket. It can be found in the parts diagram of your manual. Or call dealer. Most gaskets are under $20 (most).

Thanks DexterDay. No mention of it in the manual. Just called my dealer and he said it is not a necessary part. He was surprised it was still in there all this time. Makes me wonder if they should have taken it out when they installed.
In any case I have been running the stove for quite a while without and have not noticed any difference.
All is good.

Early models had this gasket, Later models had furnace cement in its place. The area around the drop tube isn't welded all the way around. It could potentially leak some air without the gasket or stove cement. I recommend a small bead of furnace cement to seal it.

i have the enviro meridian and if i'm understanding you question correctly you are referring to the insulating wool approx 8 by 16 that rests behind the center brick panel.i was led to believe this is a must and needs to be fluffed up somewhat everytime you remove it because it can become compressed.i think its there to force the ash to the right and left sides of the stove and prevent the back wall of the stove from getting too hot.

I have a Windsor I have been using since 2004. That gasket behind the center back plate that goes around the pellet feed tube gave up the farm a long time ago and I never replaced it. I believe it keeps the ashes from going through that space and collecting behind the back plates more than it does. The original seemed to be attached to both surfaces meaning the removable back plate and the stove surface behind the back plate. Don't see how you could ever remove the center back plate without destroying it and in 2006 it was $24 for that small gasket. I just let the ashes build up in the gap between the feed tube and center back plate to block the air flow and I don't clean that gap out until I have to remove the back plate for a cleaning.

All I get as a result of not replacing it is a little more ash behind the back plates to clean out at the end of the season.

Been running a Windsor since 2004 as well & I know exactly what you guys are talking about - 100% agree with Ejectr. I scraped off the remnants of that gasket many years ago and never bothered replacing it, didn't notice any difference besides maybe a bit more ash behind the firebrick - something that wasn't a problem since the firebrick gets removed frequently for cleaning. After the big Fall cleaning, I just added some red high-temp RTV where that gasket used to be, just for kicks

VTrider said:
Been running a Windsor since 2004 as well & I know exactly what you guys are talking about - 100% agree with Ejectr. I scraped off the remnants of that gasket many years ago and never bothered replacing it, didn't notice any difference besides maybe a bit more ash behind the firebrick - something that wasn't a problem since the firebrick gets removed frequently for cleaning. After the big Fall cleaning, I just added some red high-temp RTV where that gasket used to be, just for kicks

VTrider,
Thanks for the response. I ultimately came to the same conclusion. On a different note, have you had to replace the ignitor on your Windsor yet? If so, did you purchase from a dealer or online? Or is there a generic part that can be had for a cheaper price?
I don't use a thermastat so it is not a big deal to light manually after shutting it down for cleaning but would be nice to have. I have been quoted about $135 for the part from the dealer.

Frogwood said:
VTrider,
Thanks for the response. I ultimately came to the same conclusion. On a different note, have you had to replace the ignitor on your Windsor yet? If so, did you purchase from a dealer or online? Or is there a generic part that can be had for a cheaper price?
I don't use a thermastat so it is not a big deal to light manually after shutting it down for cleaning but would be nice to have. I have been quoted about $135 for the part from the dealer.

I just replaced the ignitor this past Fall - It lasted quite a while, I believe I got atleast 6 seasons out of the last one. Last year it only lit the stove 50% of the time so I decided to get a new one this year.

I saw the same ignitor on Ebay for around $125.00 shipped (last I checked though it was priced higher). I ended up going through my dealer this time since they were already working on troubleshooting a faulty control board (and I wanted to give business to my dealer), funny thing is that I think they only charged me just over $100.00 for the part which is great. There are some threads around about members ordering 'generic' ignitors online from sites such as grainger.com, but I never see a follow-up post on how it worked out for them?

I have a generic lighter on my stove (not an Enviro) from Grainger and it works just fine. I understand that Enviro adds something to the igniter so you'd have to duplicate that in order to get the igniter onto the stove.

A lot of stoves just have a set screw that you loosen to remove the igniter which is usually makes it easy to find a replacement or after market unit with the same specifications.

My replacement unit was around $36.00 with shipping to the house instead of $99.00.

Most Enviro ignitors come preset into a tube with a mounting flange making doing the grainger generic replacement thing rather problematic. There was one igniter that they used which was justa standard rod style igniter but I think they stopped using that design about '94. Otherwise they do a good job in making sure you have to buy their igniters. Not saying you cannot make your own it is just a lot of work.

Thanks all...was hoping someone had purchased one through Grainger and had some insight. Sounds like that is not a possibility with my Enviro stove. Won't try making one as I don't have those kinda skills. Will see if Santa has any money left in January to spring for a new one. Been going fine lighting manually.

Merry Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.