1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Broke the glass on my Quadra fire Mount Vernon

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Baston8005, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Baston8005

Baston8005 Member

Loc:
    East of Hartford, CT
    Today my tadpool gasket came in for my old mt vernon stove. Figured I would replace it tonight....Got everything off nice and easy and install was going fine till...to much pressure applied by yours truly and CRACK....SOB.
    Anyone have an old Mt Vernon stove glass laying around? If yes please reply.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. imacman

imacman Guest

If you get no replies, try the local glass shop. Most of them can order ceramic glass for you, if they don't have it in stock.
  3. Baston8005

Baston8005 Member

Loc:
    East of Hartford, CT
  4. Baston8005

Baston8005 Member

Loc:
    East of Hartford, CT
    $155 beans. Lesson learned. Now not to break the next one.....
  5. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    Never heard of anyone doing it before, but maybe put a small blob of high temp silicone between the tabs and glass?...for peace of mind during tourqage.

I've looked at the amount of "crush" on my window gasket many times and wondered why you don't see more glass failures.
  6. imacman

imacman Guest

Looks good to me. Did you try calling any local glass shops?
  7. Baston8005

Baston8005 Member

Loc:
    East of Hartford, CT
    Too late in the day. Searched on the web and found a few suppliers that specialize in fireplace/pellet stove glass. Shipping was only $15. Sure beats going to the local stove shop and shelling out $225
  8. mralias

mralias Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA
    homer-simpson-doh.gif Hate it when that happens. Ouch.
  9. PoolGuyinCT

PoolGuyinCT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Plymouth CT
    That sucks, I did that a few years ago.

Last time I needed gasket, I just brought the door to a dealer (not the one i bought stove from, my dad bough a stove via another outfit, man i wish i had them install mine) went out to luch and they installed. Castile doors pop off super easy.

Ray
  10. imacman

imacman Guest

Keep us informed about the service (shipping time, etc), and the quality of the glass.....this might be one of those places I bookmark for future reference.
  11. Baston8005

Baston8005 Member

Loc:
    East of Hartford, CT
    Will do. Found another site that was selling tadpole gaskets at 1/3 the cost also. $9.60 but with shipping comes to $24. Still beats the $50 the local shops are charging for the same thing.
  12. zrtmatos

zrtmatos Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Happened to me on my stove. Luckiy I found a shop in Massachussetts that shipped me the glass in one day. I was back up and running in no time. Final cost was $70 with shipping. Easy repair on the Lopi Leyden. I found local glass shops wanted at least $100 for the glass.
  13. Umaxman

Umaxman Member

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I know the feeling :( I broke the glass in my wood stove door. I called three different places and it was all the same price $140.00 a square foot .
  14. Baston8005

Baston8005 Member

Loc:
    East of Hartford, CT
    Glass arrived in excellent shape. Install went with out any hiccups. Delivery was about a week after the order was placed. That was the only downer. Electric heat is off and pellets are being burnt again!!!!
    mralias likes this.
  15. imacman

imacman Guest

Nice! Enjoy the heat (again).