Brrrrrr, Hope You're Prepped ....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
@Poindexter, if we ever saw -60dF here, it would be a disaster of biblical proportions. Real Old Testament stuff. You know... human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria.
Ghostbusters reference noted! I saw that movie, I think 8 times in the theater, when I was a kid.

Warming up here now. Might be -10::C now but it is supposed to go up to 1::C tomorrow morning and rain/freezing drizzle for a bit then cool down and snow again!

Cheers!

IMG_2212.JPG
Tonight it's supposed to go down to -20 then the high tomorrow, Sunday will be around -5F. I won't be running the dogs with the ATV then... and I'm sure they'll be layed up right in front of the stove most of the day...lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jetsam
Oh oh, that sounds like ice in the transition. Be safe. No biking for awhile.

Reactions: Dix
We've been unseasonably cold here hitting -20c night before last. But we're starting to warm over the next few days.

I've been just loving the extra output of the 2nd stove this year, it's made a real difference in the ease of heating when the temps dip. And I finally broke the threshold of my wife's capacity for heat. This is the first year after thirteen years of marriage that I've ever been able to get her to admit that the house is more than warm enough.

Happy wife. Happy life.

I don't know where all of you live, but I hope I never move there in the winter, some of these temps are insane. I'm upset that it was 67 here today in va so I can't burn my new stove, burned yesterday and house is still 67 with nothing coming on.
VA weather is driving me nuts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know where all of you live, but I hope I never move there in the winter, some of these temps are insane.

I thought it was cold here in Indiana but seeing some of the other posts in is a whole new level of chill. Of course I can experience all 4 seasons of weather in 24 hours which I despise. We started with freezing rain Friday night, transitioned to rain and even thunder yesterday, back to freezing rain last night and sleet/snow to top it off, and the big chill back on today.

Reactions: Dix
I thought it was cold here in Indiana but seeing some of the other posts in is a whole new level of chill. Of course I can experience all 4 seasons of weather in 24 hours which I despise. We started with freezing rain Friday night, transitioned to rain and even thunder yesterday, back to freezing rain last night and sleet/snow to top it off, and the big chill back on today.

That big chill is rolling into Long Island tonight. Temps are already dropping.

26 when I went into the gym tonight..22 when I came out. Only 40 mins!

About 2 months ago it was 68F during the day and quickly cooled to less than 25F. It was really weird going from raking leaves to stoking the woodstove.

This kinda weather gets people sick. And they are sick all over.

It was 30s Thursday and Friday, 40s Saturday and 67 today, 48 right now outside. Maybe I'll just burn some poplar, but don't know if it's just a waste if my secondary's won't be going

Reactions: KimiBwoah
We're about 10 degrees warmer than yesterday. Feels like a heatwave.

Reactions: KimiBwoah
The past week has been rough temps, but the coming week after Monday looks better highs in the mid to upper 30's. Single digits at night with 30 mph wind just sucks the heat out of the house. You chew through some wood at those conditions. We're currently at 20 with no wind with the house cruising 78 plus feels great.

Woke up to 29 outside, since I'm on vacation I decided to light it up, started with poplar and moving to locus for a quick warm up. (Sorry for crappy pic, thought the iPhone live Photo would work)
5abe56c32cb02898defcc6c3bec14fbf.jpg

Reactions: vinny11950
We're about 10 degrees warmer than yesterday. Feels like a heatwave.

You're gonna get nailed this year!

Tag, you're it :p

Yep the cold broke. But it was met with a large pacific front, things get interesting when that happens. The interior valley didn't get hit to bad but the mountains to the east or west got pounded.

A groomer ran this trail 2 days ago..........
2ad6910d9958b4dc38f86719fe2f1df4.jpg
This is what a sled looked like when you stopped!

Reactions: maple1
Cold last night. Wife is enjoying the new oil boiler for the bedroom heat during this cold snap. Other then that,,,the Englander is keeping the main part of the house to our standards.

4 deg f this morning, loaded the stove lastnight at 8pm, woke at 5am, house was 68deg upstairs.. sorry oilman...no soup for you

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC