Buck stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r82ranger

Hearth Supporter
Jul 4, 2010
PA
I recently purchased a Buck stove 2600 I am refurbishing it for use in my masonary fireplace. I need to replace the gaskets and glass on the front doors but I am having great difficulty removing the current screws and tabs. any ideas? My plan was to sand and paint with hgih heat paint before installation. Any touhgts on this project would be helpfull
Thanks

R82Ranger said:
I recently purchased a Buck stove 2600 I am refurbishing it for use in my masonary fireplace. I need to replace the gaskets and glass on the front doors but I am having great difficulty removing the current screws and tabs. any ideas? My plan was to sand and paint with hgih heat paint before installation. Any touhgts on this project would be helpfull
Thanks

Well, you can try some penetrating oil - like PB Blaster (NOT WD-40) & let everything soak for a couple of days, & then try to remove them with a manual impact driver - the type that is actuated by a hammer strike.
Invariably, you're gonna break one or two of the screws anyway. That being said, you might as well get yourself some drill bits & a couple of taps that match the threads. Of course if you can't get ANY of the screws out, you won't know what size drill or tap to use, but maybe you'll get lucky. Once you know the thread you can determine what size drill to use so when you tap you'll have enough thread to hold your fastneners...
I like to start with an undersized drill & step up in size til I get to the minor thread diameter & then use a starter tap to clean the threads...
Hope that didn't confuse the H*LL out of you...

With conventional vice grips (not needle nose) I can usually can get any protruding screw head to turn.
If they are recessed drill them. If they are like my 2800 buck they are protruding.

The heads are snapping off leaving the broken screw in the hole. Tried a socket since the screw has a hex head, it snapped right off. Had penetrating oil on there for several days.
Will heat work?

Drilling them out is probably the fastest solution. Use oil while drilling and use a bit 90% as big as the screw.
If you have to start with a smaller bit to start a hole for the bigger bit.

If the socket you used was 7/16, the thread size is 1/4-20...the tap drill size is #7 (.201" dia.)
Get a couple of 1/4-20 taps - starters & finishers (bottomers)...
While drilling, use WD-40 to keep the drill tip cool & prevent early failure...
May need an extra pair of hands to spray while you drill...
Once you get the starter tap to engage, don't turn it more than 1/4 turn.
Back it off then turn 1/4...this will help to break the chips...
When the starter bottoms out, remove it & switch to the finisher to get the threads to the proper depth.
It won't hurt to spray the taps with WD-40 during the procedure...

daksy, you must be an engineer! How many people and tools does it take to remove some broken screws?

gzecc said:
daksy, you must be an engineer! How many people and tools does it take to remove some broken screws?

A Pox on You! How DARE you call me that!
I DO NOT use a pocket protector,
NOR do I have a calculator case on my belt! (LOL)
I'm a machinist by trade (in a previous life).
Some people have no experience with the CORRECT drilling & tapping techniques,
so I figured it can't hurt to simplify things...

ANSWER: As many as it takes!

Daksy Your a good guy. Where in eastern ny are you? Upstate or down?

gzecc said:
Daksy Your a good guy. Where in eastern ny are you? Upstate or down?

Capital District area, 10 miles East of Albany...on the 2nd Burden Lake in Averill Park...

If you have a welder handy, weld a washer to the broken screw, then weld a nut to the washer.
Turn the screw out with a wrench.
The heat will travel trough the screw and alot of times they will come out.
Protect the surface from welder splatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.