Buckmaster chimney installation questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

missouri43

Dec 14, 2007
missouri
Hello, I have a buckmaster zero clearance fireplace. In the instructions it calls for any ul-103 (ht-2100) type ht chimney system. I have found a couple on the web and was wondering which sounded the best or should I go with something else. The first one is supervent sold by menards. Product Description:8" x 36" Length Stainless Steel Chimney Pipe

•Double Wall Pipe
•tested to 2100F - UL-103 Standard-Meets all UL Requirements
•Special Augured Mineral Wood Insulation filling the space between stainless steel walls is only one inch thick.
•17 times the insulating value of brick
•430 Outer/304 Inner
•Only Two Inch Clearance to Combustibles
•All residential fuels, gas, liquid, solid. UL103
•Limited Lifetime Warranty

The second one is duratech sold by efireplace store.com Here is the description:
The DuraTech chimney system uses a double-wall chimney that is insulated by a layer of ceramic refractory blanket. The inner wall is 0.020" stainless steel and the outer wall is of 0.02" galvalume. This UL listed design permits a 2" clearance to combustibles and results in a pipe with an 8" inner diameter and a 10" outer diameter. The sections are available in six lengths and fasten with secure twist-lock connections. A limited lifetime warranty applies.

Features
•Double-wall chimney pipe for wood, oil, coal, and gas appliances
•.021" galvalume outer wall and .020" stainless steel inner wall
•Insulated by a layer of ceramic refractory blanket
•Secure twist-lock connections
•2" clearance to combustibles
•8" inner diameter with a 10" outer diameter
•Available in six lengths
•Limited lifetime warranty
•UL Listed
Manufacturer: DuraTech
Part Number: 9602GA
UPC: 662492292204

The duratech cost around 125 while the supervent is around 95 for a 3 foot section. My pipe length will be around 25 feet high. My chimney will be surrounded by half inch concrete board.
Any comments are appreciated. I'm new to all this.

Class A chimney systems all have to meet the same standard. The difference in price is generally due to materials used, but they'll all get the job done when installed correctly. The exception is ICC Excel, which meets much tougher Canadian standards. It's probably top of the line, also very pricey. Lots of folks have Supervent chimneys and are quite pleased. Simpson products are well made and very popular as well. I have a 6" Supervent on my wood furnace. I went with Selkirk Metalbest for my new stove. I liked the ceiling support better, and the roof flashing. I got it from www.dynamitebuys.com. Sean there is very helpful in getting what you need. Just call him with some measurements and a description of what you are doing, and he will email you a quote. Their prices are very competitive, customer service is very good, and it's a one stop shopping trip with everything shipped to your door.

I looked at the brochure for your fireplace, and it looks like quite the unit. Buck stoves are well regarded here. We'll expect some pics and a report.

Status
Not open for further replies.