Building a pad for my Isle Royale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cshama

Mar 3, 2009
ny
I am about to start building a tile pad for my Isle Royale for a corner installation. The manual says I need a 51 by 51" area pad but my installer say 61 by 61"- not sur who is correct. Also there is no mention of an R value needed for the floor. What do I put under the tile?

Any knowledgeable advice really appreciated!

cshama said:
I am about to start building a tile pad for my Isle Royale for a corner installation. The manual says I need a 51 by 51" area pad but my installer say 61 by 61"- not sur who is correct. Also there is no mention of an R value needed for the floor. What do I put under the tile?

Any knowledgeable advice really appreciated!

My dealer sold me a commercial hearthpad that is 48" by 54", which provides the clearances in excess of what's
required by the manual. Page 7 of the owner's manual talks about the floor protection being 16" in front and 8" to both
sides of the loading door. If I was building one, I would have more protection in front. Those sparks can fly.

Can't help on the R Value needed for the floor.

Probably correct. The IR kicks out a lot of radiant heat. Our pad is 55" on the wall sides and truncated at the front. And that is with a close clearance stove. I just checked Tom's website for the corner install dimensions for the 3 cu ft Bennington. It calls for 60" on the sides.

This just came up at work... we could not find anywhere that the current manual actually states the k value requirements. It gives an example, but does not state if thats what the IR actually needs.

Well if I end having to figure it out by calling Quad I will post back.

As for the pad size, check the manual.

As far as I know, the IR DOES NOT have a "R" value requirement for hearth pads. It is simply stated that it requires a fire retardant hearth pad (spark protection).

After running one for years with a simple pad, I have never had any kind of heat buildup in the hearth pad that would be uncomfortable to the tootsies. (oh man, does that feel good on cold tootsies.)

Well in the manual they have an entire page dedicaed to calculating k values and such, so I assume it has some sort of a requirement.

jtp10181 said:
Well in the manual they have an entire page dedicaed to calculating k values and such, so I assume it has some sort of a requirement.

You would think so :) I called the Quadrafire people and it was like the first time they ever heard the question. Anyway it eventually came down to being 1 inch of micore being just about ok. It looks like a entered a big twighlight zone here

The 1" would confirm my suspicions, the example uses 0.84 k value which I think 1" of micore just covers that.

cshama said:
jtp10181 said:

You would think so :) I called the Quadrafire people and it was like the first time they ever heard the question. Anyway it eventually came down to being 1 inch of micore being just about ok. It looks like a entered a big twighlight zone here

Boy, got that right! It's as if the manual writers asked legal for a clarification on a correct way to phrase this section and they were pointed to the geek dept. How about a simple clear definition of what is required for the stove here instead of a long dissertation on how the formula is arrived at?

jtp10181 said:
I am starting to think that all stove manuals just cut and paste that page. I read an entire manual with NO requirement stated but it still had that whole algebraic page that made my brain hurt just to look at it. I'm pretty solid on the reading comprehension part of the test - the math - not so much!

As it was explained to me by a very reputable dealer: The 1" of micore or cement board was to create an ember barrier. The stove itself did not need a "heat shield" type hearth pad.

Just passing it along. I can't verify the truth/fiction of the statement.

Jags said:
As it was explained to me by a very reputable dealer: The 1" of micore or cement board was to create an ember barrier. The stove itself did not need a "heat shield" type hearth pad.

Not according to the techguy at quadrafire-but what does he know ;) Anyway 1" it is

Jags said:

If all that's required is ember protection a piece of 22ga sheet metal would suffice, you would not need 1" of material.

For thermal protection it would not be 1" of 'micore OR cement board', for the cement board to equal the 1" of micore you need like 3" or more of cement board I think.

jtp10181 said:
If all that's required is ember protection a piece of 22ga sheet metal would suffice, you would not need 1" of material.

For thermal protection it would not be 1" of 'micore OR cement board', for the cement board to equal the 1" of micore you need like 3" or more of cement board I think.

Your statement makes sense, JTP. I believe that the dude I talked to was basically saying that "something" needed to be there. And for sure if the quad tech guy made a specific statement of such, thats the way I would do it also. I haven't looked at my manual for years, but I wonder if something may have changed along the way. Dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.