Building a pad, questions for corner install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
I found many threads on this topic, but i'm tired of reading...... :)

Don't have the stove as of yet....but thinking ahead of the game, maybe building the pad is easier than buying a stove.

I like "corner install" pads, to me they look more elegant and better finish, see the picture.

I think i want a 42x42. What is the material underneath of this one in the pic surrounding it, is it sheet metal and if so how thick it is and can that be bought with my specs? For example, if i want the pad 42x42 but a cut in front to make it look nice for a corner.

Attachments

• Corner Polished Copper front view 8941sm_Corner.jpg
    Corner Polished Copper front view 8941sm_Corner.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,174
I got this one from a website, it is a 40x40 :

Attachments

• pad3 40x40.jpg
    pad3 40x40.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 621
It's probably 1/2"-3/4" plywood with Wonderboard on top of that then the tile on top of that..... At least that's what mine is made out of......

Wood Heat Stoves said:
the pad pictured has no plywood in it, it is a heavy r value pad designed for woodstoves
but a pellet stove could sit on a pad with tile on top of plywood typically

Dave...what exactly is heavy r value pad? Is this something one can buy? I might re-do my pad and if this is easier to work with, it might be worth it.

Steve

looks like a sheet of metal, that is what i want to know, what it is.

geek said:
looks like a sheet of metal, that is what i want to know, what it is.
i dont think my corner pad has metal in it .i think its some kind of hardie board (cement board )then they put tile on that . my pad is heavy as hell though.

It's so easy to do yourself. Plywood duro bond or cement board and find your own tile or stone. You would be amazed the money you will save.
If you want nice corners just trim it with oak or something you like.
that's what I did.

The best thing is you make it yourself, and the money you save put towards a extra ton of pellets!

Attachments

• th_IMG_0113.jpg
    th_IMG_0113.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 586
  • th_IMG_0162.jpg
    th_IMG_0162.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 601
Fish On said:
It's so easy to do yourself. Plywood duro bond or cement board and find your own tile or stone. You would be amazed the money you will save.
that's what I did.

The best thing is you make it yourself, and the money you save put towards a extra ton of pellets!
nice work looks great....................................................... i think thats your answer geek

Fish On said:
that's what I did.

I know, that's the plan, but i just need to know what's the black thing underneath, look at the first picture, do they make a casing with metal and then place the hardy board inside and the tile on top?

Again, just need to know what the black casing on the bottom is.

thanks.

Fish On said:
that's what I did.

I know, that's the plan, but i just need to know what's the black thing underneath, look at the first picture, do they make a casing with metal and then place the hardy board inside and the tile on top?

Again, just need to know what the black casing on the bottom is.

thanks.

there is no metal on the bottom it is just a wrapping that gets bent around the board it is an option when you order a hearth pad to get either metal trim or wood trim the pad is about a 1"1/2 thick what you are seeing is the trim

no idea what black thing. but its plywood cement board then tile stone and thats it. simple

stoveguy13 said:
there is no metal on the bottom it is just a wrapping that gets bent around the board it is an option when you order a hearth pad to get either metal trim or wood trim the pad is about a 1"1/2 thick what you are seeing is the trim

oh, could have sworn that metal trim is part of the bottom surface surrounding the whole thing...

i have never seen it on the bottom if you wanted to have metal on the bottom it wouldnt hurt anythin but is really over kill in most cases the manf. hearth boards achive r value withan air space not from the metrial they use most of the bottoms from the companies i have bought from use what looks like partical board

Fish On said:
that's what I did.

Agreed it is much more fun to do yourself, you get exactly what you want, and saves money. This is the general progression:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=72885&l=3a212c8fb3&id=100000248687190

all that black edge is is angle iron painted black on mine anyway.
you'd have to relief cut the bottom of the angle iron so you can wrap the pad.
its secured with screws from underneath. looks nice and its simple.
so yes its metal. but it doesnt cover the entire bottom. hth

I was going to build a new pad for my relocated stove this fall... but I found a 'demo' pad at my dealer for $50.00...

I custom made my pad.. 2 pieces of 5/8 fire rock glued together w/ tile on top.. no problems in 3 years. My stove came with what it wanted for r-values, so I just found out what the rock and tile were..:) also built pretty cheap, got the rock from a jobsite. and cheapest tile at the depot. doesnt look to bad

krooser said:
I was going to build a new pad for my relocated stove this fall... but I found a 'demo' pad at my dealer for $50.00...

got lucky there krooser.

is the hardy backer board at home depot good enough, i think the Durock cement board may be too much even though it has better protection (non-flammable).

I have seen a few installs that passed local code. The tile was just glued to the sub floor. There was no backing at all. So I would say yes. The tile is enough to insulate and the under layment does not need to be non flammable. I think its more of a hot spark lands on the floor thing. Heck I have seen stoves just set on patio blocks that passed code. Depends on the inspector and there mood.

The durock would give you a little extra protection and maybe a bit safer down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.