Bundles of wood sold

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I keep seeing folks advising someone who has problems burning wood to buy some of that kiln dried wood sold at grocery stores or other places. It just makes me wonder why they consider this all kiln dried? I know a few years back one large-scale wood seller bundled a lot of wood and his wood was for sale at a lot of party-stores, gas stations etc....but none of it was kiln dried. It was just small stuff that had air dried for a while....and some was not all that dry.

So, are there people actually selling kiln dried wood or is that just a perception?

Backwoods Savage said:
So, are there people actually selling kiln dried wood or is that just a perception?

Yes.

Dennis - I have wondered about some of that as well. I do know of a few stores that sell the kiln dried, but I also know of a couple of more that do not. I know the source and he doesn't have a kiln.

A-cord-ingLEE said:
Has to be kiln dried nowadays as per USDA regs.

Hmmm...I may have to bring this up to Hajish at the corner. Naaaa...I will let him roll with it. :coolsmirk:

Jags said:
Dennis - I have wondered about some of that as well. I do know of a few stores that sell the kiln dried, but I also know of a couple of more that do not. I know the source and he doesn't have a kiln.

A-cord-ingLEE said:

Hmmm...I may have to bring this up to Hajish at the corner. Naaaa...I will let him roll with it. :coolsmirk:
OK to sell if it's local wood.

A-cord-ingLEE said:
Jags said:

A-cord-ingLEE said:

OK to sell if it's local wood.

His supplier is local - thats the one I am talking about not being kiln dried. I guess he gets to keep the store for a couple of more years. :lol:

A-cord-ingLEE said:
Has to be kiln dried nowadays as per USDA regs.I should clarify " heat treated" at a minimum.

I saw some small bundles outside Ace hardware this weekend, and the plastic bags were completed full of condensation drops!

There are local suppliers who simply shrink wrap the same unseasoned wood they sell at their lot and deliver it to the local grocery, convenience store, or campground store. This wood doesn't look to me to be kiln dried. I guess larger interstate sellers might kiln dry, but not everybody does.

Backwoods Savage said:
I keep seeing folks advising someone who has problems burning wood to buy some of that kiln dried wood sold at grocery stores or other places. It just makes me wonder why they consider this all kiln dried? I know a few years back one large-scale wood seller bundled a lot of wood and his wood was for sale at a lot of party-stores, gas stations etc....but none of it was kiln dried. It was just small stuff that had air dried for a while....and some was not all that dry.

Around here none of it is kiln dried. Some of the hardware stores have each bundle tied with a piece of twine. The grocery stores have it in plastic bags. Walmart has it shrink-wrapped, but definitely not dry. It's cut up pine slabs and your hands get sticky from the sap if you touch it. All for $5 per bundle, which is about 6 small splits or so.

A-cord-ingLEE said:
Has to be kiln dried nowadays as per USDA regs.I should clarify " heat treated" at a minimum.
+1

With the EAB problems all hardwood firewood became regulated. But USDA regs only apply if it crosses a state line. Many states are now implementing their own firewood regulations in an attempt to slow/stop the spread of pests.

Jags said:

A-cord-ingLEE said:

You are wanting Slurpie???

I was at Home Depot here in Richmond about 3 hours ago. They had $3.99 bundles from Maine that were marked "kiln-dried" on the label.

The ones I got last year (to try out the new stove) were from Wisconsin and just said "seasoned". They had condensation inside the wrapper and didn't seem dry when I split them, so I dried them inside before taking them to the cabin. They burned fine at that point.

A-cord-ingLEE said:

I assume "heat treated" means bringing up the core of the wood to some temperature to kill pests. Is that enough to dry the wood to an acceptable MC%?

Lowes also sells Kiln Dried wood, it's from New York, $4.50/ bundle and burns much better than any wood I've ever got from a gas station which is always local, never kiln dried and I suspect not really seasoned. I picked up 3 bundles from Lowes today to get my stove startet for the first 3 burns to cure the paint.

If I wanted to test my stove, in order to rule out my crappy wood, all the hardware stores around here now have biobricks and the like, I would just use those I guess.

Dakotas Dad said:
If I wanted to test my stove, in order to rule out my crappy wood, all the hardware stores around here now have biobricks and the like, I would just use those I guess.

Naaa...those things burn wacky. You would be better off busting up some old antique furniture. Ya know it will be dry.

3fordasho said:
A-cord-ingLEE said:

I assume "heat treated" means bringing up the core of the wood to some temperature to kill pests. Is that enough to dry the wood to an acceptable MC%?

1. Yes
2. Eye doubt it!

If I remember correctLEE , the chamber must maintain a minimum temp for so many minutes to pass USDA inspection. Don't remember the exact time and temps.

Last year was my first year with a a new insert. I had some wood that was OK, but is clearly better burned this year. So, I bought wood labeled "kiln dried" at Giants to give the stove it's best shot. The wood looked very dry and tested so on a moisture meter. On the other hand, a local hardware store sold wood labeled as kiln dried, but it sure didn't look that way to me.

No reason in my mind to ever pay for kiln dried whatever it is. You know how much wood demo'd out of houses goes to the land fill everyday? I've got a garage full of the 1"x1" stickers the cabinet wood is on in the kilns I cut to 14" pieces. So much I give it away to people I know who burn just for firs starters. Its out there, just look around.

Status
Not open for further replies.