Burn Phases

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Battenkiller said:
Warm in RI said:
That's an interesting conclusion. I wonder why the different attitude toward secondaries?

Cool that you can sit and watch in silence for so long. Speaks volumes about your marriage.

Of course, I had a marraige like that once, though the silence wasn't comfortable, mutal, or a positive sign. >:-(

I feel the same way, really. We're just so into a natural open fire. The sounds, the look of the yellow flames, the occasional waft of cherry smoke... all part of the ambiance. We have a nice fireplace to use in the living room, but the place is usually too warm to light it. Don't get me wrong, if the stove was upstairs (and it actually had glass in it) I'd watch away most evenings, but it just ain't like looking at the real McCoy.

Marriage... yeah, we have a great one. Ups and downs, just like everybody else, but she's my very best friend in the world, no doubt about that. She's beautiful, funny as hell, smart as a whip, generous to a fault, not afraid to get dirty with hard work, and she even likes cigars and whisky. I mean, c'mon... how many guys can sit around sipping single-malt and smoking cigars with their best friend and then go rumple up the sheets later on that night? ;-)

The silence, though, is just something that seems to evolve out of necessity. It's like being trapped on a desert island with your best fishing buddy, and he says, "Did I tell you the time I caught...", and you've heard the same story 657 times in the last year alone. There are no real surprises anymore. Very comfortable, but a bit sad. Sometimes I think we should divorce for a couple of years and then get back together, get to know each other all over again. But I'd miss the hell out of her... and all of her charms. :)

My wife got me a fire pit a few years back. I enjoy it more than she does, and I enjoyed it more when I used to drink beer...just doesn't agree with me any more. It's actually illegal where I live. Not enough distance from buildings so I use it sparingly.

I'm with you on the silence. I've been with my wife 4 years now and already find myself repeating things at times. I had 39 years of living before I met her, but a lot of my memories involve the ex wive's. Talking for the sake of breaking the silence is foolish. Digging deep for stories to relay for the sake of talking often results in hashing up things that are best left buried. Sometimes I'd rather she do the talking so I can just listen. They like that, I'm told. I believe it was Solomon who said "a wise man guards his tongue" and "there is a reason we have two ears but only one mouth". He also said "tis better to live outside on the corner of your roof than iside with a quarrelsome wife" Smart man...who likely didn't share everything that entered his mind. Anyway, sounds like you are truly blessed. Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.