Burn time with new insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you always loading north to south and have you tried east to west?

I have mostly been running on high, or fully opened

For a load of wood to burn that quickly it is getting too much air. If you are burning fully open that is a problem. Where are you measuring 600°? I usually measure at the top of the door and top out about 400° going full blast. When I have the surround off, the front of the outlet can get to 650-700 degrees. I don't burn the stove much hotter than that.

Once the wood is fully involved I turn down the air to get strong, jet like secondaries. The tiles in front of the stove quickly get up to 150-160° and massive amounts of heat radiate in addition to the fan forced hot air from the vents.

Small splits, no matter how tightly packed, leave a lot of surface exposed. Try burning your stove with some larger splits and the air cut back to have mainly secondary flames in the box. It is not as pretty as a fully involved stack of splits but should throw a lot of heat for an extended period.

KaptJaq

ps: Last night I put 3 splits on a bed of coals at 11PM. Shut down the air and was in bed by 11:15. When I left the house this morning about 9 there was still a bed of coals and the fan was still running on slow. The house was 71° and air at the vents was about 85°F. For shoulder season I got more overnight heat than I needed.

KJ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.