Burned

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Well, who has lit the fire so far?? I still havent....Figured that I would hold out until October this year..Last year it was Sept 15th.

Trying not to light anything until the last possible moment. We've had some cool nights, warmer this week though. We've redecorated our living room, not totally ready with the stove there in the fireplace, and I'm certainly not lighting off the furnace until it stays below 50 all day. That will probably be in late October here. We normally get our first snow of the year on/around October 24th. The upstairs stove will do fine until I need a constant burn 24/7. As much as I enjoy burning, I'm surprisingly "stingy" with my wood.

Well I would have but my new stove is sitting on a dock in Sacramento to be deleivered tommorow.
Low of 41 this am and chains required over the pass to Tahoe. Looks like Ill get it in just in time. Of course next week were supposed to go back to mid 70s so there is probably a heat wave on the way.

I lit mine off last week. It was a bit warm, we ended up opening all the windows and the door in the room, but the wife was happy.

Matt

Burned a small fire this past weekend, partly to cure some newly applied furnace cement, partly to see how my insert drafted after removing old chimney cap (that didn't allow enough clearance to end of liner), and partly to test my recently delivered wood.

It was a bit chilly outside, but inside temps were still around 70, so without the additional items I needed to "test" above, I probably would not have lit up.

I havent dont that either..I looked up it last night and it is super clean...First year burning it was last year..Dry hardwood only...I might get away with every other year.

Velvet Foot

The avatar, scary past couple weeks huh, Nats 1-2, Philly, Fagetaboutit!!!!!!!!!!
0-7!! I think we went from 7.5 up to 1.5 last night prior to the win!

Dudes, this is a YANKEE site!!!! :)

I've only done my break-in fires so the stove is ready for when I need it.

And I follow the A's out here

I've had two small break-in fires already on a new Jotul 3CB. Holding off on the third one until it gets chilly in the house. The kids and I sat in front of the new stove during the first firing and welcomed it to our home.

Had to light the used Keystone that I got. Sat thru Tues nights temps were down to 40, then 37 and 36, daytime low 60's. Wife likes to leave back door open during the day for "air" and so dogs can come and go. Good thing I lit it cause I found out that I need to replace the bi-pass damper and frame. Seems previous owners never cleaned the cat, and probably ended up forcing the heat out the closed bi-pass damper resulting in overheating of the damper. Parts should be here in next couple of days and will have it good to go for next cool spell week -10 days down the road. Probably use furnace some in this marginal time of year. Tough to fire up the soapstone just to take the chill off. But god, I hate using furnace. All this time I thought this was a Bo-Sox site! ;-)

Had the 1st floor stove burning softwood on 4 different nights in the past 2 weeks;had frost a couple times.got overenthusiastic with the most recent fire;tossed in a fat maple split-whew-only house on the street with the living room windows open all night.

Glad I didnt light the olympic. I nthe 80's today through the weekend!

Burned some hedgewood in the Jotul C450 insert last Sunday and it was great!

Titan said:
Had the 1st floor stove burning softwood on 4 different nights in the past 2 weeks;had frost a couple times.got overenthusiastic with the most recent fire;tossed in a fat maple split-whew-only house on the street with the living room windows open all night.

Love the new avatar Titan... ROFLMAO...'Local joint' by any chance??? :ahhh:

keyman512us said:
Titan said:

Love the new avatar Titan... ROFLMAO...'Local joint' by any chance??? :ahhh:

I find it offensive . . .

Hi all,
I'm new here, but am just quietly reading threads until I got to this one. I am in northern Oregon, and fired up the whitfield pellet stove downstairs to take the chill off the morning, but shut it off at about 11am. Been doing this for a few days now.

I joined the list as I have to decide about whether to buy a used hearthstone "Harvest" (1994) from a lady or to buy a new one. I am kind of worried since reading another's experience of finding bent parts inside the stove from improper use. She did tell me that both the handles on the stove are broken and need replacement. Of course I worry about how that happened, etc. I guess I should really start a new thread and ask just what I need to , instead of rambling on here.

First fire last weekend, 40's at night and got down to 60 in the house. It was satisfying also to see all of that hard work burning so nicely!

Tink said:
Hi all,
I'm new here, but am just quietly reading threads until I got to this one. I am in northern Oregon, and fired up the whitfield pellet stove downstairs to take the chill off the morning, but shut it off at about 11am. Been doing this for a few days now.

I joined the list as I have to decide about whether to buy a used hearthstone "Harvest" (1994) from a lady or to buy a new one. I am kind of worried since reading another's experience of finding bent parts inside the stove from improper use. She did tell me that both the handles on the stove are broken and need replacement. Of course I worry about how that happened, etc. I guess I should really start a new thread and ask just what I need to , instead of rambling on here.
Tink, might be my recently posted Woodstock used stove experience. While this may have sounded dire, at least in the stove I have, the repair is relatively easy and inexpensive. Still the purchase I made was very worthwhile. Look closely, try all the handles, doors etc, make sure everything closes tightly as its supposed to. If it doesn't, check to see how easy it is to replace. There is always the risk of problems in any used purchase, but stoves are pretty simple mechanically and if you take your time an pay close attention, a used stove can be an excellent purchase. Start another thread with your questions. You'll get lots of help.

Thanks for the reply. After a long discussion last night, hubby and I have decided to go with a new stove, largely due to improvements in the stove design. We'll be buying a Hearthstone Mansfield (unless we change our mind in the store...) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.