Burning Creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Minister of Fire
Mar 2, 2007
South Western Wisconsin
I was talking with the local country people at the cottage and showed them my old chimney I had taken out. They said it looked fine, I thought the flaky creosote looked a little thick. Now I am not advocating this but here's what they tell me they do. Have a rip roaring fire, since it's SS and it's straight up you can burn it out, never ever seen one have a chimney fire, or get it clogged. But they have seen screens clogged in the cap. Probably never have to clean it. I will admit they have a long history and lots of experience in burning wood.

I have heard these kinds of remarks before like shoot a flame out the top, bingo bango no creosote build up. Put a load of cardboard in and let it rip. etc.

Is there any truth to this lets call it urban myth?

Burning hot is a generally good practice. Letting the fire rip once a day, particularly at startup has worked for us. This is the opposite of loading the stove up and dampering it right down and letting it smolder, which next to wet wood, is probably the best way to build up creosote.

Yeah, you probably won't be able to the get a fire hot enough to burn out all of the creosote. And even if you did, the temperatures inside the pipe that were burning the creosote would probably be dangerous.

Removing creosote should be done with a brush, or with chains in the case of the really stubborn stuff. A hot fire won't suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.