Burning mill scraps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd grab a load & try em. I used to burn slab wood - board ends -
that I got from a lumber mill when I lived out in the hills East of
Troy, NY & they burned great. It was mostly hardwood - oak &
maple - & they charged me $15 to fill my old Chevy Luv truck.
I'd fill the bed like I was packing a suitcase & I'd get enough to burn
2 - 3 weeks in an old Ashley stove. I had a HELL of a time getting
that old beater up the mountain with that much weight in it, but for $15
it was worth the hour it took me.

How much wood is in a bundle, compared to a cord of wood? I like the pickup truck load of cutoffs for $25. Three loads would probably be close to a cord I would guess.

Lots of folks burn slabs.
Good shoulder season & a good small & medium sizes to mix in with the big stuff to fill in space for longer burns.
Dries pretty fast when CSS.
Price seems fair if it's a close drive, good deal IMO.

I called around this season and slab wood is waaaay up in price. They want as much for it as a cord of wood around here. Burning wood to heat must be on the rise and these mills and pallets builders are cashing in on it.

I typically burn some slabs every year . . . as BD said . . . they dry fast and are good for the shoulder season burns . . . I also like to split some up for kindling . . . of course I have a free source . . . don't know if I would pay a whole lot for slab wood myself . . . maybe if the price was right.

When I lived in Anchorage, slabs was about all we burned. $10/pick up truck load. Dad and I could stack a lot on the old 3/4 ton!

There is a local portable mill that sells for $25 a large bundle like the one in the link. An established saw mill sells for $20. I've burned slab but prefer cordwood although I do have about 2.5 cord of slab oak on hand as it is geat in a gasifier.

Get a pick-up load of the cut offs.

Get em and try em. There are plenty of folks who buy and burn slabwood. Only thing is to not overload or even fill the stove as it might burn a bit fast and you don't want an overfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.