Burning Mulberry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
As I type. I like it. Never had it before. It reminds me of white oak-when its seasoned.

Rates well on BTU charts. I have a few cords of it. I recently tested a few splits from the top of the stack with a moisture meter. It was cut last late winter. It was 15% and burned well, no popping that I read it does. I have not burned enough of it yet to know.I have the fruitless variety, a common shade tree in my area, and frequently cut down, free wood. I'm still not sure if fruitless is any different from white or red mulberry.

Very good wood . I had 2 cords last year and was very happy with results. Seasons fast, burns long, hot & coals well.

Reactions: ScotO
Enjoy it, friend. We had a ton of mulberry and black walnut trees around the property growing up. The mulberry was a huge pain to split as the trunks were almost always twisted, but as a teenager with a car, I relished cutting those suckers down when asked. Nothing like a car covered in copious amounts of berry filled bird crap to impress the ladies. Nice firewood though.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Very good wood . I had 2 cords last year and was very happy with results. Seasons fast, burns long, hot & coals well.

Where abouts in NJ? That's where we had them all over.

A bit sparky (the Red that I've burned, anyway) but it puts out good heat.

Reactions: BucksCounty
Great stuff,one of my favs.Been burning it off & on for 30+ years.Normally get a little every year from a scrounge,storm damage or someone calling me wanting one removed.

Reactions: ScotO and blujacket
I love it for over night burns, it's great for these cold nights were having now.

I also am burning some right now as we speak! If dry it is very good fuelwood. TONS of it here in Eastern PA. It was brought in many years ago in hopes that it would be beneficial to the silk industry, that's what I'm told is why it is so plentiful here and grows like a weed!

That mullberry pops up like weeds all around here. We enjoy the way it burns. The only downside is how it grows all twisty & bent & knarly - can't find any ones tall and straight (which would be easier splitting).

I was expecting some sparking fireworks. I'm getting none.

I was expecting some sparking fireworks. I'm getting none.
How about the purpleish blue flame? I think that's unique to mulberry.

Status
Not open for further replies.