Burning Pallets?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobTheTomato

Oct 16, 2006
I have access to large numbers of pallets and a truck to haul them with. Should I start taking them and burning them in my wood stove? I have a quadrfire 4100 insert. They get burned in a big bonfire once a month and I would rather use them to heat my house than see them just go up in flames. Are there any major drawbacks to using them? Some people who have asked in the past said the burn real hot. Will this be an issue if I restrict the airflow to the stove?

If it's a stove w/a secondary burn they can DEFINITELY get away from you. I use them for kindling only.

Hi Bob,

I am fairly new here, and by no means an expert.

I would only recommend using the pallets as kindling. The problem is, I think they kiln dry the wood used to make these, and if you tried to burn pallet wood exclusively, you would run the risk of over firing your stove, and possibly damaging it.

If I am off base here, please someone chime in.

A piece or two with every load will be fine.

Great for starting the fire. I get oak ones from the hardware store in town for free. Best kindling I ever used.

they do burn good, but I find they are a pain in the butt to take apart.

I have access to lots of free pallets. These pallets are heavy duty and made of oak. I use a worm drive circular saw and cut between each runner and then a chop saw to cut the runners into smaller sections. The slats are about 1” thick and the runners’ measure 3” X 5”. They work great in small quantities to get the stove warmed back up after an all night burn or during the early fall or late spring when burn times are usually limited to early mornings. Don’t try pulling out the nails, as it is a very tedious task. I just leave them in and pull them out with the ashes.

Dylan
Pallets are kiln dried to help keep them from getting "buggy" and not everything that gets palletized weighs a thousand pounds.
Every pallet we get here at work is level and square, not possible without kiln dried wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.