nrcrash Posted By nrcrash, Nov 21, 2012 at 5:57 PM

1. nrcrash

nrcrash
    Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 17, 2012
    Loc:
    MA
    I have a big pile of paper (newspaper/flyers) in my basement. Is there a reason why I couldn't toss a pile in with every load of wood to get rid of it? I don't need it anymore because I start my boiler with a propane torch.

2. goosegunner

goosegunner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 15, 2009
    Loc:
    WI
    The ash might plug the nozzle, send it to recycle is my vote.

gg

3. Tennman

Tennman
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 4, 2009
    Loc:
    Southern Tenn
    I found it was more trouble than it was worth, but it didn't hurt anything. Experiment.

4. infinitymike

infinitymike
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 23, 2011
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    It depends on how much you throw in. I threw a boat load in once ( and never again) and it stopped the gassification and flooded my neighborhood with smoke!
    Now I just put at the curb and let them recycle it.

5. peakbagger

peakbagger
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern NH
    Regular newspaper usually isnt bad but coated flyers are as they are mostly clay and fillers

6. flyingcow

flyingcow
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 4, 2008
    Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    I use a little to start the fire. I also got a pile of it. I will throw a bunch of tax stuff i don't need for the business anymore in there, but I do it late in a burn when there is a ton of fire going on.

7. woodsmaster

woodsmaster
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 25, 2010
    Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    Probably would have to adjust your air settings if you wanted to burn very much at one time.

8. willyswagon

willyswagon
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Mar 18, 2012
    Loc:
    PEI, Canada
    I have been burning some of our old tax papers for the last month. It works best if done when the fire is roaring, and a few papers at a time. Its is amazing how poorly paper burns in a gasifier.

9. BravoWhiskey

BravoWhiskey
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 6, 2012
    Loc:
    NY Southern Tier
    Don't know from gasifiers yet, but used to dispose of some paper in the old VC stove from time to time. For me the trick was to stack the paper densely in the back and then don't touch it at all. It would take many days to reduce to gray ash with a normal wood fire in the front, but finally it would be gone without smoking or making a mess. Worked fine for disposal, but as fuel forget it.

10. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Gimmicky waste of money & time? :)

Looks like even assuming that thing holds together & works right, you'd spend a week making bricks that you'd burn through in a day - if you didn't run out of paper & water first.

11. avc8130

avc8130
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 6, 2010
    Loc:
    God's Gift to Gassification
    That was my thought also. I can split a lot of wood in the amount of time I could process 5 gallons worth of paper into 4 bricks. I bet the wood will heat the house better...

ac