1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. nrcrash

nrcrash Member

Loc:
    MA
    I have a big pile of paper (newspaper/flyers) in my basement. Is there a reason why I couldn't toss a pile in with every load of wood to get rid of it? I don't need it anymore because I start my boiler with a propane torch.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. goosegunner

goosegunner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI
    The ash might plug the nozzle, send it to recycle is my vote.

gg
  3. Tennman

Tennman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Tenn
    I found it was more trouble than it was worth, but it didn't hurt anything. Experiment.
  4. infinitymike

infinitymike Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    It depends on how much you throw in. I threw a boat load in once ( and never again) and it stopped the gassification and flooded my neighborhood with smoke!
    Now I just put at the curb and let them recycle it.
  5. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    Regular newspaper usually isnt bad but coated flyers are as they are mostly clay and fillers
  6. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    I use a little to start the fire. I also got a pile of it. I will throw a bunch of tax stuff i don't need for the business anymore in there, but I do it late in a burn when there is a ton of fire going on.
  7. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    Probably would have to adjust your air settings if you wanted to burn very much at one time.
  8. willyswagon

willyswagon Burning Hunk

Loc:
    PEI, Canada
    I have been burning some of our old tax papers for the last month. It works best if done when the fire is roaring, and a few papers at a time. Its is amazing how poorly paper burns in a gasifier.
  9. BravoWhiskey

BravoWhiskey New Member

Loc:
    NY Southern Tier
    Don't know from gasifiers yet, but used to dispose of some paper in the old VC stove from time to time. For me the trick was to stack the paper densely in the back and then don't touch it at all. It would take many days to reduce to gray ash with a normal wood fire in the front, but finally it would be gone without smoking or making a mess. Worked fine for disposal, but as fuel forget it.
  10. avc8130

avc8130 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    God's Gift to Gassification
  11. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Gimmicky waste of money & time? :)

Looks like even assuming that thing holds together & works right, you'd spend a week making bricks that you'd burn through in a day - if you didn't run out of paper & water first.
  12. avc8130

avc8130 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    God's Gift to Gassification
    That was my thought also. I can split a lot of wood in the amount of time I could process 5 gallons worth of paper into 4 bricks. I bet the wood will heat the house better...

ac