burning pine??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just threw a load in the stove. I don't go out of my way for it, but I don't turn away an easy load of pine.

Anyone who won't burn pine just hasn't been cold. Burn it all, big little short long, if it heats the house use it.

Chimney fires are caused by people who neglect to maintian their chimney, a dozen years as a firefighter and I clean my chimney every month, need it or not. A little overkill but I have never had a chimney fire either.

We burn pine, poplar, and any other less desirable wood this time of year when we just need a little quick heat as well as whenever we are home to tend the fire. Save the hardwood for when you need to bank it up for the night or work day.

ckdeuce said:
ckarotka said:
Im starting to wonder if burning pine is the cause of global warming or or the ...
No such thing (man made at least).

You can ignore it if you like. I'm curious, do you believe men walked on the moon ?
Do you believe in evolution ? You may not choose to believe it, but the overhelming
majority of scientists do. Oh yes, I'm sure you can trot out a few scientists who
believe there is no problem, maybe even a few who weren't bought and paid for
by Exxon and their ilk - but I like to go by the majority opinion.

Oh well, I'm 50+yo, not really our problem. I sure hope the fringe opinion is
correct, because our children are screwed if not.

RustyShackleford said:
ckdeuce said:
ckarotka said:
Im starting to wonder if burning pine is the cause of global warming or or the ...

You can ignore it if you like. I'm curious, do you believe men walked on the moon ?
Do you believe in evolution ? You may not choose to believe it, but the overhelming
majority of scientists do. Oh yes, I'm sure you can trot out a few scientists who

Oh my... Snow in Chicago this weekend. First time in history this early. Oh...... And if YOU believe it is man made, then...... It is your fault!!!!! Thanks for screwing me and my 3 year old child over with your coal soot!! Just kidding, I don't believe in "Man Made" global warming. I also trust in God. I also think man walked on the moon. Oh... God Bless.
Chris

I do think you can run into problems with pine if all you are used to burning is hardwood.

1) Fresh cut pine wood feel like seasoned wood to someone that had only lifted oak, so it would be very easy to burn a lot of green wood.

2) It gets really hot really fast. Really hot! Much much quicker then oak maple and ash would get you.

logger said:
There are tons of stupid rumors out there about pine, most are false, but it can cause some real issues:
1. Pine burns fast and hot.. need to reload a lot more than hardwoods
2. Pine definatley causes more creasote, hence the chimney must be cleaned more often
3. Pine smoke can be a lot more irritating to the eyes and throat than other woods

There's probably some other issues out there too. If it helps any, I have nothing but pines on our property (probably a few hundred) and I refuse to burn it because of the problems that it can cause. Others burn it all winter so maybe they'll post some of their findings.

When fresh cut, not dead and rotted pine, is seasoned a year or two all three of the above are a crock.

just tossed a pine split on my fire - burns hot and fast

BURNS ;)

btw does pine check like hard wood when it's dry? none of mine is checked - then again it was standing dead cut / split 6 months ago and feels dry and light

Stevebass4 said:
just tossed a pine split on my fire - burns hot and fast

BURNS ;)

btw does pine check like hard wood when it's dry? none of mine is checked - then again it was standing dead cut / split 6 months ago and feels dry and light

I may be a saw dust burner next year. My stacks of live pine cut a few weeks ago have been attacked by pine borer beetles that never touch the dead fall stuff. It is turning into a pile of sawdust right before my eyes. And if you walk outside the gnawing sounds like a little chainsaw running.

Grew up in California and pine is what was available. Never had a chimney fire. Only was cold when fire went out...

I shave the hair off the back of my hands on a regular basis and sometimes, for fun, I let it grow out and curl it... especially in October for Halloween - goes well with my witches outfit.

Pine, like wood burning in general, is quite addictive once you have burned it due to how hot and easily it burns. I have tried to quit but haven't been able to. I have been able to cut down on the amount I use so feel like I am making some progress. I use it to get my fire going now that I burn hard woods.

Anyone who has pine that they don't want to burn due to hand hair growth - I am happy to take it off of your hands. ;-)

Won't burn anything but pine in my fireview all of October. Just started a fire an hour and a half ago.

If pine wasn't good for burning, they wouldn't have invented it. :lol:

I've tried all the recipes I can find, but haven't been able to turn pine into oak yet. Any suggestions? I just spent the day cutting a loading P#%$ into my trailer (it's a 4-letter word, right?). All my wheels stayed on the whole 120 miles home, and my palms have the same hair as always, but I think it made the snow fall and the weather cold. Seriously, there's so much beetly kill out west that there'll be a whol lotta pine burnin' for the next several years all along the rockies.

I only burn Pine when its cold out and need the longer burn times. Spruce and poplar when its shoulder seasons. :-/

logger said:
If it helps any, I have nothing but pines on our property (probably a few hundred) and I refuse to burn it because of the problems that it can cause.

Have you ever actually tried burning any of that pine? The really resinous chunks can put out more smoke than hardwoods, but that's different than creosote. If it's cut, split and dried, it's perfectly problem-free firewood. I just got a truckload of bone-dry pine, and it's delicious. You should try it.

Stevebass4 said:

it usually seems to split up the side of a round, but sometimes checks a little. Sometimes not at all. Fir seems to check a little more. 6 months split from dead should be fine.

ckdeuce said:
RustyShackleford said:
ckdeuce said:
ckarotka said:

Oh my... Snow in Chicago this weekend. First time in history this early. Oh...... And if YOU believe it is man made, then...... It is your fault!!!!! Thanks for screwing me and my 3 year old child over with your coal soot!! Just kidding, I don't believe in "Man Made" global warming. I also trust in God. I also think man walked on the moon. Oh... God Bless.
Chris

Chris, you're right, it IS partially my fault, and I apologize (although I don't burn coal, wood is too plentiful here).
You can not believe if you like - and say you don't - that is our right as free people. But just because you
don't believe doesn't make it not so. If you don't like Obama, if you think Al Gore is a big wind-bag, I can
relate. But God made science and all the scientists who are telling us that we are in deep doo-doo, so
maybe trust in them too. As far as the snow in Chicago, part of climate change is WEIRD things happening
all over - you cannot deny the general trends. And God bless You too ...

Pine is evil. Pine will burn down your house. All pine by Federal law must be sent freight prepaid c/o Brotherbart to the FedEx freight terminal at Manassas Virgina for legally authorized disposal.

This disposal is done by a professional. Do not try this at home.

RustyShackleford said:
ckdeuce said:
RustyShackleford said:
ckdeuce said:
ckarotka said:

Chris

Chris, I don't want to rain on your parade, but too many scientists are saying what they are being paid to say. The liberals in academia are also saying what they are being paid to say. It's always a smaller number who are willing to be honest enough to put their careers on the line by speaking their minds. Global warming is nothing other than a power and money grab. There's a lot of money to be made with this. You believe that majority = truth? Wow, you need to start thinking for yourself. What about the "majority" that were operating in Germany during WWII? This is a scheme to feed cash to liberals and their causes. Take a look at this article where the BBC asks the question: What happened to global warming? They are honest enough to report that we have been in a cooling cycle since 1998. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8299079.stm You can even see that the global warming crowd is realizing that their farce is under risk, so they had to change the name to "Climate Change." Global warming, aka, "climate change" is a system of intimidation and manipulation. Manipulating and obscuring the data and intimidating those who disagree.

ControlFreak said:
RustyShackleford said:
ckdeuce said:
RustyShackleford said:
ckdeuce said:
ckarotka" date="1255127379 said:

Chris

Chris, I don't want to rain on your parade, but too many scientists are saying what they are being paid to say. The liberals in academia are also saying what they are being paid to say. It's always a smaller number who are willing to be honest enough to put their careers on the line by speaking their minds. Global warming is nothing other than a power and money grab. There's a lot of money to be made with this. You believe that majority = truth? Wow, you need to start thinking for yourself. What about the "majority" that were operating in Germany during WWII? This is a scheme to feed cash to liberals and their causes. Take a look at this article where the BBC asks the question: What happened to global warming? They are honest enough to report that we have been in a cooling cycle since 1998. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8299079.stm You can even see that the global warming crowd is realizing that their farce is under risk, so they had to change the name to "Climate Change." Global warming, aka, "climate change" is a system of intimidation and manipulation. Manipulating and obscuring the data and intimidating those who disagree.

Tell that to the polar bears.

Bigg_Redd said:
Burning pine causes global warming.

And the exhaust from cat stoves.

Deadcalm said:
I'm a sceptic, too, and keep a regular check on this site: http://wattsupwiththat.com/
OK, I searched for "Pine" there and all I could come up with is this.

mccoy_hockey_stick_its_dead_jim.jpg

His famous quote is "Damn it Jim I'm a Doctor not a Magician".

Status
Not open for further replies.