1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Burning Small Pines

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by tkirk22, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkirk22

tkirk22 New Member

Loc:
    VA Mountains
    I just did some thinning in a newer pine forest and have about 1500 2.5" to 3" thick pines scattering the ground. The choice is either to let them rot where they lay or cut them up and burn them next year in a fireplace insert. I'd like to get the woods cleaned up a little and provide some house heat if possible.

Are there any issues burning these "mini-logs" in a modern non-cat stove or should I just stick to split wood?

Kirk

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. hilly

hilly Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    I've burned a bunch of small pine with no problems. Some of the trees had a disease that would make them ooze pitch and create pitch pockets quite large and that made burning very entertaining as long as I watched them carefully!
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Down here in the Virginia flatlands pine is burning in both of my stoves at this very moment. And has been since October.
  4. Gunner

Gunner New Member

Loc:
    Southern Ontario
    Great for start-ups, spring/fall fires and reducing large hardwood coal beds. Keep it!
  5. abj1969

abj1969 Member

Loc:
    S.Jersey

really? it won't hurt the stack any?
  6. jabush

jabush Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Howard County, MD
    As long as it is seasoned properly, Pine won't make any more creosote than hardwoods. It does burn fast and HOT however.

7. tkirk22

tkirk22 New Member

Loc:
    VA Mountains
    Thanks for the replies.

I'll burn'em.
  8. lvfd50

lvfd50 New Member

Loc:
    Livonia NY
    So what you're saying is that I should go pick up a bunch of christmas tress after the holidays to help supplement my wood pile for next fall? Sad thing is I'm only partially kidding. This has actually crossed my mind.
  9. swestall

swestall Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I've never burned pine/spruce/etc. Local lore has it that you do get a buildup in the flue if you constantly burn these. Watching various threads, I see that elsewhere in the US and CA folks seem to be burning it with no problem. Live and Learn!
  10. DoubleClutch

DoubleClutch Member

Loc:
    Virginia coast
    I think the key to burning pine without problems is to make sure it doesn't smolder...you want FLAME...I would also avoid burning it when it's super cold outside to try to minimize creosote that condenses when your exhaust smoke is cooled below the dew point...
  11. jpl1nh

jpl1nh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Newfields NH
    Where I live, most Christmas trees are balsam or frasier fir. Both are pretty weak firewood, hardle worth going out of your way for.
  12. jdeuel

jdeuel Member

When I was in the Sheriff's Academy, they used old, dried-out Christmas trees in our jail-firefighting first responder class. Talk about a spectacular, short, hot fire! I swear you could see it from space...

~jd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.