burning smell and whining sound

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msj782

Dec 23, 2016
Holden, MA
I have a Harman P35i insert. It was installed a little over 13 months ago. Today I did a deep cleaning shutting it down and removing from the fireplace. I followed all the recommended methods as per the manual and dealer instructions as I have in the past with what I thought were no issues. My wife has been complaining of a faint smoke smell the last few days ( no-one else in the house could smell it). Today after the cleaning when the stove fired up and the distribution fan kicked in there was a high pitch whining sound that go worse the faster the distribution fan was set. After running for maybe an hour there was a definite burning smell coming from the distribution vent. It didn't smell like smoke from the firebox, more of a mechanical burning smell. Anyone have any ideas? It is Christmas Eve and a Saturday tomorrow no service companies are open. Looking for anything to investigate before I call the pros on Monday.

Sounds like the room air fan or motor is rubbing on something. You may have knocked something out of place while cleaning. Look around the room air fan/blower area. It sounds (smells) like you may be overloading and cooking that motor.

Get the manual out and read the troublshooting guide for reference.

It sounds like either a metallic interference issue, or a bearing issue. Sometimes just the vacuum hose laying over a sheet metal piece and then being dragged across it an inch can bend something slightly out and cause a rotating assembly, like a fan or auger, to rub against it.

Does your manual call for any of the bearings to be lubed in any way? Since even though you did not hear anything, but you wife was sure there was a smoke smell, it may indicate a bearing, but I would hope if it were new at 13 months ago that bearings would last a little longer.
Since a fuse has not blown, I'm leaning toward something bent or out of shape from the prior cleaning that was then worsened a bit with this last cleaning.

If you can change the distribution fan settings and the noise follows it like you have eluded to, then you have the area of issue narrowed down,and the place to start looking. Look for any bent sheet metal, even the smallest bit. Also look at any fan bearings that are visible and see if any dirt or oily dirt has run down the housing at the bearings.If the shaft is visible at the bearing, wiggle it to see if there is any slack that would cause the fan to wobble in the housing. Then, if you can visually see the fan blade cage, look it over as you roll it by hand to for any rub marks that can narrow down the location of interference.
Of course do this only when the stove is off and unplugged.

I have a Harman P35i insert. It was installed a little over 13 months ago. Today I did a deep cleaning shutting it down and removing from the fireplace. I followed all the recommended methods as per the manual and dealer instructions as I have in the past with what I thought were no issues. My wife has been complaining of a faint smoke smell the last few days ( no-one else in the house could smell it). Today after the cleaning when the stove fired up and the distribution fan kicked in there was a high pitch whining sound that go worse the faster the distribution fan was set. After running for maybe an hour there was a definite burning smell coming from the distribution vent. It didn't smell like smoke from the firebox, more of a mechanical burning smell. Anyone have any ideas? It is Christmas Eve and a Saturday tomorrow no service companies are open. Looking for anything to investigate before I call the pros on Monday.

Check also if pellets have gotten stuck down there in the fan cage. These will make it out of balance.

Thank you all it was a Festivus miracle! I pulled to stove out and cleaned (sprayed) the entire area with compressed air. I checked the manual and the bearings are not able to be lubed. I wiggled and jiggled everything I could. Nothing seemed to have excess slack or movement. The fans all turned freely. I reinstalled the stove and we have had no noise or smell this past week or so. I talked to the service dept. at my dealer and they think something was rubbing that caused the noise and the burning smell may have been a buildup of dust around the motor. I don't know but the problem has been resolved for now. Thanks again for taking the time to help!

Glad you're burning okay now, and thanks for the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.