But where does the heat go?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

redwood78

Nov 15, 2014
PA
This may be an odd question.. but I have had my Regency Bellavista b36xte installed for over a year now, but yesterday during the east coast snow storm was the first time I got to sit there in front of it with the heat laser gun for a few hours. I was very surprised to find that the veneer stone and mantle above the fireplace were way hotter with the blower fan ON, than with it OFF. I thought that with the blower fan on, it would blow the heat out into the room, and with the fan off, the heat would just rise up and out of the unit and heat up the veneer stone and mantle. But not so apparently. So without the blower fan on, where is the heat going? The unit is installed into a chimney chase that bumps out of the house. Am I just heating the chimney chase without the fan on? The unit is in a great room with cathedral ceilings to the second floor. It seems like so much heat just goes straight to the second floor, and I'd prefer to have as much as possible radiate out to the first floor area.

You need celing fans to drive the heat back down from the ceiling- that's where it is going. My shop ceiling peaks at about 25 ft I have a fan up there , warmest place in the shop is in the down flow from that fan.

You need celing fans to drive the heat back down from the ceiling- that's where it is going. My shop ceiling peaks at about 25 ft I have a fan up there , warmest place in the shop is in the down flow from that fan.

I've heard that it makes more sense to run a fan in reverse in that situation. Suck the cooler air up to displace the warm air up high.

Try it either way if it is a reversible unit ( shop fan isn't - so it is what it is)