Can Anyone Confirm Pellet Plant Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

restorer

Aug 16, 2006
Salt Lake City, Utah
Recently several references have been made to a pellet plant burning down. I was told by the buyer from Sutherlands that they were having problems with getting shipments, because Eureka shut down by equipment failure. Others have referenced the fires.

Think this might be an urban legend. Today on another topic someone said Lignetics burned. So I just searched the net for confirmation. The closest paper is Spokane, but you can not search their archives unless you subscribe. Checked the archives in the Boise Statesman (largest daily in Idaho) and the Missoulian (closest major paper in Montana). Neither had references to any fires.

My concern is this: If one of the major suppliers out here, who ship nationally goes down, those store stock piles are prime for buying. Stores will not generally carry-over unless the product is a significant part of their business like Stove Stores. The big box stores around here will start cutting prices as soon as we get a Spring thaw, could be in a month. Might be a little longer, but the prices will drop as they start stocking the Spring garden items. They will just take their chances next Fall and charge whatever costs are at the time they buy.

If there is a major supplier out or not it should be important for us to know for planning on next season. If there is no problem with production, many new plants coming on line, demand not so high because of the generally mild year, so far, then this years left overs may drop fairly significantly. If we have a plant off, and we don't buy this year, it could be very costly next, forget about off-season deals.

So, who has the goods, are we looking at a plant gone, or a lot of he said, so-and-so said, that his brother's baby sitter's uncle once passed through Kootenai, Idaho and smelled smoke, so it must have burned down.

Likewise, after I read here about Lignetics I did several searches including for Sandpoint, ID, but found nothing. Though for some reason Lignetic's website is down. Maybe just coincidence?

Does this sound funny? Are there persons, and businesses out to make us think there is a shortage? Am I screaming conspiracy? I don't sell pellets, but i do buy them on a hopefully a fair market.

CountryGal said:
Well, I picked up the phone and called the plant and they have had no fire.

Lignetics Incorporated
Highway 200 E
Kootenai, ID 83840

Tel: 208-263-0564

Called the number above; got their company voice mail saying their offices were closed and if you knew your party's extension, etc.
Then it said 'for the plant, press 1" which I did and a man picked up the phone in the plant. I simply said I had read on the internet they had a
fire and he said, 'No fire here' and I confirmed it was Lignetics in Idaho and he said, 'Yes.'

I remember that thread, but don't remember it being about Lignetics which is in Idaho and one of the older, major suppliers for this area. Thanks for checking into this Country Gal. I'm not sure where Thomas picked up that info, but glad it isn't true.

I have several, at least 6 customers come to me in the past 2 weeks and tell me that the Home Depot told them the plant had a fire. Maybe they don't want to carry the pellets any longer or the plant does'nt want to supply them. I find it hard to believe 6 or more new customers telling me that I am the only one with pellets and that their told it burned down.

I fiqured it was a excuse for running out.
Thomas

CountryGal said:
No problem! When Google fails there is always Ma Bell.

I love it!

Ring Ring... Hello... Hi, is this the Pellet Plant?... Why yes it is... Oh, great, hey, could you tell me if you've burned down recently? ... Lemme look around, nope, looks okay here... Great, thanks for the info, bye!

-- Mike

NW Fuels said:
I have several, at least 6 customers come to me in the past 2 weeks and tell me that the Home Depot told them the plant had a fire. Maybe they don't want to carry the pellets any longer or the plant does'nt want to supply them. I find it hard to believe 6 or more new customers telling me that I am the only one with pellets and that their told it burned down.

I fiqured it was a excuse for running out.
Thomas

When I checked out pellets in Nov., the Utah Ave, Seattle, Home Depot wasn't selling Lignetics. Come to think of it, it's been awhile since I've seen Lignetics sold there. I think someone(s) at HD might be spreading the fertilizer a little early this year.

Yes I was asking the same thing in the post I made last week
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/5395/
100's of people or coming in my store looking for pellets because they cant find any at the big box stores due to
THE pellet mill burned down.
I did not know there was only one mill?

Update EDITED post
Oh yea
due to the fact that THE pellet mill burned down
Every bit of pellest I had or have coming in for the next 3 weeks have been Pre sold (reserved) and I am not selling any pellets to walk in customers for I dont have any to sell by the bag. They get mad then I tell them they sould have bought in the summer or order 1 - 2 tons at a time and reporder when you get down to 15 bags.
then you would not be running around like a chicken with you head cut off in the COLD.

They get mad because they see 40 tons in my yard but they dont understand people PAID for them and waiting to pick up or have delivered.
My pellet mill can only send me so many at a time.

Was at HD here on Friday (I think I go there almost every Friday or Saturday :-( )

They had pellets, I think it was 4.89 a bag. 1 Pallet near the door. That's unusual if I compare to last year. Local stove dealer I pass on the way to work also has a huge stock pile of Pellets in the parking lot.

Don't kow about a fire, but there sure isn't a shortage.

I saw the same when I was in the Poughkeepsie area last week, though I didn't see Lignetics brand. But Thomas is on the opposite coast and seems to have the opposite problem. Given the cold snap they're promising, I can see why he wants to get supplied pronto.

I don't know if one burned or not, but there doesn't seem to be a shortage in this area. I drive by a pellet stove dealer almost every day. He has lots of full pallets of pellets and is advertising them for $3.49 a bag. The local HD and TSC also seem to have plenty.

BeGreen said:
I saw the same when I was in the Poughkeepsie area last week, though I didn't see Lignetics brand. But Thomas is on the opposite coast and seems to have the opposite problem. Given the cold snap they're promising, I can see why he wants to get supplied pronto.

You were around and you didn't stop in to say "hi" ? I'm hurt!

I was only there for a short visit to see my Mom and family. Born on New Years Eve, we celebrated her 98th birthday at C's on Rt. 55 in LaGrangeville. If I had been around longer, I would have looked you up and NY Soapstone. I drove right through Millbrook. Still very pretty country, but boy has Dutchess and Putnam county grown since I was last out there.

BeGreen said:
Still very pretty country, but boy has Dutchess and Putnam county grown since I was last out there.

We're thinking of changing Putnam's official signs ("Where the country begins) to "where the country began" or "where the country was paved".

Saw pellets at Sam's Club yesterday $5.49 bag had about 2 pallets sitting in the main aisle.

It used to be that when I left 684 in Brewster and got on Rt 22, the country began for me. Now it appears one has to get north of Pawling. Oh well, happening out here too in many areas.

WOW, did not know that there where that many people on here from Dutchess and Putnam counties. I live in Mahopac. Greetings

Greetings Mahopac from Kent, your equally overtaxed neighbor! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.