Can I brick-line My old Lange wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lotust

Dec 3, 2007
ny
Hey guys, Sorry if this has been asked before. can I brick-line My old lange so I dont have to cover my wood walls/sils. I want to line at least 2 walls that are closest to my wood wainscoting. I DONT want to cover or line the walls with a fire barrier untill I can make up my mind to what I want to do.

I have only fired up this stove 2x both with VERY small fires and the walls around it got too warm for my liking. Im thinking about scraping the whole idea all together.

1-12-08GrandpasLangewoodstove006.jpg

1-12-08GrandpasLangewoodstove001.jpg

1-12-08GrandpasLangewoodstove003.jpg

You want to put brick IN the stove?

If you look in NFPA 211 for clearances on an unlisted wood stove I believe you should be 36" from the wall on all side. That is why your wall is getting too hot. You can use a suitable wall protector to reduce this clearance, that is the only legal and tested way to reduce clearances. Putting bricks in the stove might possibly make the wall not get as hot but its not tested so no one can really tell you what will be safe.

It's a beautiful stove, but shrinking down the firebox size will make it so tiny as to handle maybe only a split or two at time. And it's hard to predict how well it would work. There are other small stoves with close clearances that could eliminate this problem, be clean burning and have the spec to prove it.

PS: Any stove is going to burn hotter burning scrap lumber.

PPS: What was done about the hairline cracks?

BeGreen said:
It's a beautiful stove, but shrinking down the firebox size will make it so tiny as to handle maybe only a split or two at time. And it's hard to predict how well it would work. There are other small stoves with close clearances that could eliminate this problem, be clean burning and have the spec to prove it.

PS: Any stove is going to burn hotter burning scrap lumber.

PPS: What was done about the hairline cracks?

Thanks for the replys to both of you guys,

I had the crack welded. Im keeping and eye on it. There is no way for it to spread more in the location it was in. I understand "scrap wood" Will burn hotter since is pine and its pretty dry right ? I guess you are right about lineing the inside. There will be Little to no room for wood. Though I dont mind downsizeing the inside since the BTU's this thing gives off is too much.

I think I will line the walls in a suitable way or change the stove out. Its kind of Huge for such a small area. Its almost overkill for the area. the Portch is attached to the house with a 30" door that I can open and close if I get too warm in the adjoining living room.

Status
Not open for further replies.