Can I use old triple wall flue pipe with newer stoves.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bryansong

Dec 2, 2015
Independence, Mo.
I have some triple wall Dura Chimney flue pipe I purchased 30 years ago. I put a stove in my basement
but only used it one year then gave to stove to someone who really needed it.
Speaking with a local wood stove dealer I was told I couldn't use it with the newer efficient stoves
Is that correct? I'm going to install a new stove at my mother's house and if I could use that flue I
could save a lot of money on the wood stove project.

What do you think?

Bryan

Last edited:
I think your local wood dealer wants to sell you new Class A.
If your pipe is in good condition & you can securely fasten a new piece
of connector to the existing adapter, you should be good to go.

I think your local wood dealer wants to sell you new Class A.
If your pipe is in good condition & you can securely fasten a new piece
of connector to the existing adapter, you should be good to go.

What does that mean "securely fasten a new piece of connector to existing adapter"? I do think I need to use double insulated
chimney pipe because the stove needs to be close to the wall.

Does the old chimney have an insulated inner pipe surrounded by an air-cooled jacket or is it all air cooled? If it is insulated it may be an older version of DuraPlus pipe.

What stove is going in and what is the composition of the wall behind it?

Does the old chimney have an insulated inner pipe surrounded by an air-cooled jacket or is it all air cooled? If it is insulated it may be an older version of DuraPlus pipe.

What stove is going in and what is the composition of the wall behind it?

The stove is still to be decided and I've been seeking help with other post on this site.
As for the flue pipe it is triple wall un-insulated meaning it has a 6" inner layer then air then another wall then air then the outer wall (air-cooled).
There is no insulation material, just air. Also, I would be going straight up through the ceiling then through the roof (probably a 5/12 pitch and the stove would come at the eave side of the pitch. That isn't a very long run considering I would probably buy a kit to go through the ceiling and roof. I know it's required to have triple wall through the ceiling
though I'm not sure about the roof.

The local dealer has a couple of suggestions for a stove to fit my request. Buck 74 and Super 27.
I'm also looking a the Englander and Drolet because they are less costly.

Bryan

What type of chimney is it? Do you know what it's rated for, temperature-wise?
Class A, rated for 2100 degrees F must be run from the first ceiling (or wall)
penetration, all the way to the cap.
On a 5/12 pitch, it will have to extend 74" out of the roof from the higher side.

What type of chimney is it? Do you know what it's rated for, temperature-wise?
Class A, rated for 2100 degrees F must be run from the first ceiling (or wall)
penetration, all the way to the cap.
On a 5/12 pitch, it will have to extend 74" out of the roof from the higher side.

I'll have to check and see if the label on the pipe says what class it is. I did read Dura-Chimney from that label
but then it got into small print.
You are saying it will need to extend more than 5' above the peak of the roof. What I've heard about that is it will
need to be 2' higher than anything within 8' or 10', I don't remember which.

All of these questions about the flue by me are because the local dealer says it will be $1,200 for all the flue.
It occurred to me I should at least ask you all. What ever I need to do is what I'll do. Again, it's for my mother's home
and above all it needs to be safe. I have contacted the city about what's needed and will be getting a permit but they
said basically pretty much what the stove manufacturer says is what I need. They will inspect the installation.

I guess now I just have to get home from work and see if that pipe is Class A.

Thanks!

The pipe sounds like air cooled chimney for a ZC stove. Most like that are only rated 1700F and not 2100F high temp.

Reactions: Heatsource
The pipe sounds like air cooled chimney for a ZC stove. Most like that are only rated 1700F and not 2100F high temp.

I'll bet that's why I was told I'd need the new pipe. I think I'm going to drop this issue and go ahead with the new pipe. I think these newer stoves must get hotter to burn cleaner.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I'll bet that's why I was told I'd need the new pipe. I think I'm going to drop this issue and go ahead with the new pipe. I think these newer stoves must get hotter to burn cleaner.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Don't forget your through the ceiling kit - it gives you a ceiling support box, attic insulation shield, roof flashing / boot, chimney cap, While you in the "new stove" market please keep in mind that the majority of new stoves require a minimum of 15ft of chimney (from stove collar to chimney cap) some models are slightly better with smaller length chimney's but when you figure out what brand stove your going with pop in and ask a question regarding chimney height and unit compatibility, this can save you from some post install head aches.

Reactions: bryansong
Don't forget your through the ceiling kit - it gives you a ceiling support box, attic insulation shield, roof flashing / boot, chimney cap, While you in the "new stove" market please keep in mind that the majority of new stoves require a minimum of 15ft of chimney (from stove collar to chimney cap) some models are slightly better with smaller length chimney's but when you figure out what brand stove your going with pop in and ask a question regarding chimney height and unit compatibility, this can save you from some post install head aches.

Ok will do. Now I've just got to decide which stove.

Bryan

This is my bet.

I had three installers look at my triple walled ZC chimney; all three said it was not rated for wood stove use; there was no hesitation. I had it replaced and didn't look back.

Good luck.

Reactions: bryansong
This is my bet.

I had three installers look at my triple walled ZC chimney; all three said it was not rated for wood stove use; there was no hesitation. I had it replaced and didn't look back.

That's what I'm doing. I'm just trying to sort through all I need and get it ordered right now.
Thanks for well wishes.

Bryan

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.