Can I use pipe from pellet stove for a woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamoleary

Hearth Supporter
Oct 3, 2009
MD
I was thinking of replacing our 12 year old Earth Pellet stove for a woodstove. The pipe goes straight up through the roof. It has an outside diameter of about five inches. The pipe and stove were professionally installed but the company has gone out of business. Do pellet stoves and woodstoves have different pipes. I think the pipe is insulated because it never gets hot to the touch.
Thanks

The quick answer is No.

Sorry, the answer is no. Pellet stoves run a lot cooler than wood stoves, so their pipe temp rating is lower. Also, pellet stoves are forced draft and can get away with smaller pipe. A wood stove will want a natural draft and will normally require at least 6" ID pipe.

Uh, let me think about this one for a minute . . . uh, an emphatic no on using the pellet stove pipe for all the reasons BeGreen mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.