Can someone post pic of ash in 25-PDVC after burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rehabbingisgreen

Sep 29, 2010
Missouri
Can someone post a pic of the wear plate ash amount in their 25-PDVC after burning a hopper load or so, so I have an idea what they are getting and have some comparison for my stove?

Reasonable thing to do but I still would like to see what the average person should expect out of their stove so I know what I am going for here. I'm doing a cleaning as soon as I get appropriate gaskets and I have tried a couple of different brands of pellets now with better luck with one in particular, the somersets but those are far and I have to wait to make another trip to get more of those. Still hoping to see the results in someones stove so I know what it should look like when I get a better clean up job and better pellets. It's sort of hard to start out with a first pellet stove being used and know a baseline of what's what.

Do a search on this forum there were some pics posted a while ago, i own this stove and yes there is always a fair amt of ash it depends on the pellet, have you tried okies? they seem to have the least amount of ash, ash with this type of stove will always be an issue it's just the nature of the beast, I clean mine every day takes 2mins no biggie. love the stove it gives off very good heat.

rehabbingisgreen said:
Reasonable thing to do but I still would like to see what the average person should expect out of their stove so I know what I am going for here. I'm doing a cleaning as soon as I get appropriate gaskets and I have tried a couple of different brands of pellets now with better luck with one in particular, the somersets but those are far and I have to wait to make another trip to get more of those. Still hoping to see the results in someones stove so I know what it should look like when I get a better clean up job and better pellets. It's sort of hard to start out with a first pellet stove being used and know a baseline of what's what.
if the ash dont burn its ash which will be in the stove or downstream in the blower or in the pipe. different "chimney" configurations will have an effect also as will wind, direction, humidity, etc. personally, i prefer ash in the stove where its easier to clean

i usually burn for about 8 to10 hrs then remove ash from burn pot with a long handled metal spoon or scraper.I m burning the rest of my greene teams right now but seems to be about the same with every pellet i have burned.i only use certified premuims.If im not mistaken englander stove works recomends excess ash removal every 8 to 10 hrs or as needed because of design of burnpot.It bends up and doesnt allow the ash to fall off the edge so to remove manually is your only option or holes in the pot will become clogged. i am no expert but i have the same stove and its normal for me to see a decent pile of ash every burn.i just filled hopper at 330 pm will leave ash until this hopper is finished then post pic tomorrow morning for you.ty rmw

heres 8hrs on feed rate of 1 with blower at 4 with stock settings on the lff and lfa my stove is a 09 so my settings from the factory are 6/4/1.hope this pic helps...rmw

Attachments

• Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 353
Ok that really helps me a lot! So I'm likely going to just have quite a bit of ash. Good to know and have a visual of someone elses. I've tried OHP from Orscheln, Somerset from Lowes, and Tidy Timbers from Lowes and by far the Somerset pellets had less ash and seemed to burn hotter than the other two. The Lowes close to me doesn't have the Somersets and I don't know how each store decides what pellets to get but darn it I was hoping for some here. The first pellets I've used are OHP and those give me a much grittier and more ash. Thanks so much for the pic!

rehabbingisgreen said:
..... by far the Somerset pellets had less ash and seemed to burn hotter than the other two. The Lowes close to me doesn't have the Somersets......

Keep checking the other Lowes in and around your area, and get the Somersets if you possibly can....they are a very good pellet and would be worth driving a little farther to get them over the other 2 brands you mentioned. When the real cold of the winter sets in, you'll be glad you did.

imacman said:
rehabbingisgreen said:
..... by far the Somerset pellets had less ash and seemed to burn hotter than the other two. The Lowes close to me doesn't have the Somersets......

Keep checking the other Lowes in and around your area, and get the Somersets if you possibly can....they are a very good pellet and would be worth driving a little farther to get them over the other 2 brands you mentioned. When the real cold of the winter sets in, you'll be glad you did.

Definitely. The somersets are far better than the other two. They are about 70 miles away so next payday we'll be making a trip.

sydsdad said:
heres 8hrs on feed rate of 1 with blower at 4 with stock settings on the lff and lfa my stove is a 09 so my settings from the factory are 6/4/1.hope this pic helps...rmw

ewww, that reminds me of my older 25-pdv.......no thanks.....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.