Can someone tell me what I'm dealing with here ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z33

Burning Hunk
Apr 14, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
I've got a split level house that's was built in 1965 that I am wanting to swap out a zero clearance fire place with a wood stove.

The zero clearance is. It original as best I can tell but I have no idea when it was added. The pipe coming out of the zero clearance is galvanized and looks like hard pipe for HVAC.

This is not the class a pipe I'm used to seeing so tell me o gurus of the flame, what do I have here ?

Attachments

• 20140913_131756.jpg
    20140913_131756.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 95
I think that may be air-cooled triple-wall chimney pipe. Not class A rated.

I'd be getting a class A chimney, no matter what. Since I am a young grasshopper, I have HEARD of the air cooled chimney pipes but never actually seen one. lol

And there for a no go with a wood stove I presume?
If this is the chimney pipe, yes it is a no go for a wood stove. What is the overall plan here?

If this is the chimney pipe, yes it is a no go for a wood stove. What is the overall plan here?

Yep. That's the existing chimney. I pulled the cap off the roof and looked down it. It's just a 6 inch stainless pipe in side the larger 12 inch galvanized pipe I posted above. No insulation just air gap as you said.

Looks like I need about 18 feet of class A to go from my basement ceiling up the existing chase and out the roof with 3 feet between the roof and top of the stack before I add a cap.

As far as the existing hearth... it's a corner install that sticks out into the room. I'm going to demo all the heart except the bottom and do stacked stone on the walls floor to ceiling.

Is that a dead snake hanging there on the tin piece? If I send that photo to my mom she'd tell me in so many words! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.