1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

can you put a tv over a pellet stove?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by iman, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iman

iman New Member

I am have ing a pellet stove instaled and I am wanting to put the tv over the stove. The stove is a Quarda fire Castile insert. Will the heat from the stove effect the tv and Electronics? I have seen this done with direct vent gas stove. I have no experience with pellet stove. thanks for the help

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. stoveguy13

stoveguy13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
    There is not alot of heat coming out the top of the castile but i would still air on the side of caution and give it at least 24 inches of space.
  3. kwburn

kwburn New Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    not sure if this will be a new tv but most modern electronics will have minimum and maximum operating temperatures somewhere in the owners manual. the few electronics i've ever looked at (not tv's) have been in the 110-120f degree range for a maximum but who knows on tv's.

will this be going over a fireplace? i used to own a satellite tv business and have installed a few tv's over the years. flat screen tv's look great over a fireplace but depending on how far away you are sitting the angle to look up at the tv can give you a sore neck real quick. no fun.
  4. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    does your stove give a clearance above the unit? if so i would maybe look a little high than that minimum. and as posted above , definately check the temp ranges that the electronics can handle , maybe even fire the unit first , measure the temps up there and see if they fall in that range before putting the TV up there.
  5. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waxhaw, NC... Formerly North shore Mass
    And the TV is gonna be distracting while your watching the fire ;-P
  6. jtp10181

jtp10181 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    Look in the manual for clearances to combustibles.
  7. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Are you talking flat panel or a big box TV? How far above the stove?

I don't think there would be an issue with a flat panel hanging a couple feet or more above the stove (allow for generous lid opening room). But there would be an issue with a large cabinet surrounding the stove that supports say a 20" deep TV.

That said, I wouldn't want the stove so close to the TV, strictly because of the fan and blower noise competition. But maybe your TV is amped up and pumping out to 6 speakers?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.