Cannot start fire in wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe take the local wood supplier stuff to a Conversation between the two of you PA-er's. Let this thread continue to focus on getting the OP's stove up and running.

Damien where are you at in the Burgh exactly, well, I don't want your address or anything. But I hate to see nice folks get ripped off maybe I can help?
Be careful. If he's getting wood from this guy that's as dry as he says it is, steering him towards cheaper, less seasoned wood in midwinter may not be doing him a favor. Wood as dry as he says this is is literally impossible to buy in most places for any amount of money.

Let's get him burning this stuff properly before we steer him to cheaper, less dry wood, seems to me.

Maybe take the local wood supplier stuff to a Conversation between the two of you PA-er's. Let this thread continue to focus on getting the OP's stove up and running.
We are pm'ing

If you have a hitch on the back of your car, Uhaul can be your friend. They also rent trucks that can take the weight of the wood.

If you have a hitch on the back of your car, Uhaul can be your friend. They also rent trucks that can take the weight of the wood.

I had been thinking about that the other a friend of mine cut down lots of tree on his property he told me I could take whater I wanted.

Regarding the stove Kaowool out and the stove had no problem starting so I believe the problem is solved.

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, when ever you modify your stove and it then does not work, remove the modification and try again.
Not sounding like a jerk at all, simply stating the obvious. These stoves are made to spec by the manufacturers. If one mods it, you can't blame the manufacturer where they void the warranty. It is for instances like this that they must impose these stipulations, that all of us are held up to.

I had been thinking about that the other a friend of mine cut down lots of tree on his property he told me I could take whater I wanted.

Regarding the stove Kaowool out and the stove had no problem starting so I believe the problem is solved.

==c==c==c==c==c==c==c==c==c

Reactions: milleo
Not sounding like a jerk at all, simply stating the obvious. These stoves are made to spec by the manufacturers. If one mods it, you can't blame the manufacturer where they void the warranty. It is for instances like this that they must impose these stipulations, that all of us are held up to.

The manufacturer, CFM Corp, went bankrupt with VC. Spare parts are available through Century Heating, but they aren't the same company. If they follow the VC model, there is no warranty.

The manufacturer, CFM Corp, went bankrupt with VC. Spare parts are available through Century Heating, but they aren't the same company. If they follow the VC model, there is no warranty.

The brand I have does have a warranty. If I stuffed or altered my stove the way this was, I would expect my warranty to be void if damage occurred due to its misuse. The brand or company involved in this case is a mute point.

Sounds like you were overloading your stove way too much too early. Start small, a bit of paper and small very dry kindling. Then work up from there. You'll get it.

Well, it took a while but finally with the help of all the posters, the problem got resolved! I have never before come across such a helpful forum. I could not for the life of me imagine why the gentleman could not get a fire going. I am only in my second winter of stove usage but have never found myself unable to light a fire. I do hope that the poster's wife is happier now, especially with the promise of free wood. Happy New Year from Greece!

Reactions: gyrfalcon
Status
Not open for further replies.